John M. Wright

Default Potentialy off topic question..........

Sorry for posting a non-boatbuilding question. I have been ordered to clear
out some unused, but working stuff cluttering up the garage, for a larger
project. So, I'm about to post a Mercury 50hp ( Merc 500 ) and a 65hp ( Merc
650 ) outboards on eBay and was at a bit of a loss as to how one would ship
items this large and heavy ?. Any sugestions as to packing and how to ship
would be most welcome. Again, sorry for the off-topic post. Thanks for your
patients.

John

Steve

The overall measurements may be more of a problem than the weight with UPS.

I think the max weight with UPS is 80 pounds. The max measurement is a
complex (to me) method of something about the max length plus max girth.....

You can got to the UPS site and read up on the details..

Now that they have combine with Mail Boxes Etc. You could just measure the
size of these OBs and call one of their store with this question..

I just purchased a marine radar on ebay and since the seller wanted to
insure it UPS insisted that it be double packed (box in box).. Cost about
$65 for the packaging and the unit still got damaged due to imporper packing
the scanner unit and packing stuff against the control panel. Glad it was
insured but I still don't have a settlement..

I would estimate that you would pay at least $150 for packing and shipping
thru UPS..

Otherwise you could take it to a freight forwarder and they would ship it on
a open pallet with strapping over it.. The cost would be about the same..

Another possibility is to check with a marine OB dealer and ask them to save
the foam boxes that they recieve their new engines in..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

felton

Given the size and weight, you might want to check with a truck
freight company. I have used Yellow Freight and thought the charges
were reasonable.

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 07:16:00 -0800, "John M. Wright"
wrote:

Sorry for posting a non-boatbuilding question. I have been ordered to clear
out some unused, but working stuff cluttering up the garage, for a larger
project. So, I'm about to post a Mercury 50hp ( Merc 500 ) and a 65hp ( Merc
650 ) outboards on eBay and was at a bit of a loss as to how one would ship
items this large and heavy ?. Any sugestions as to packing and how to ship
would be most welcome. Again, sorry for the off-topic post. Thanks for your
patients.

John

William R. Watt

I was looking at car engine on eBay. The seller specified that the buyer
must pick up - ie no delivery.

"John M. Wright" ) writes:
Sorry for posting a non-boatbuilding question. I have been ordered to clear
out some unused, but working stuff cluttering up the garage, for a larger
project. So, I'm about to post a Mercury 50hp ( Merc 500 ) and a 65hp ( Merc
650 ) outboards on eBay and was at a bit of a loss as to how one would ship
items this large and heavy ?. Any sugestions as to packing and how to ship
would be most welcome. Again, sorry for the off-topic post. Thanks for your
patients.

John

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Keith

Strap it to a pallet and ship it motor freight.

--

Keith
__
"John M. Wright" wrote in message
Sorry for posting a non-boatbuilding question. I have been ordered to

clear
out some unused, but working stuff cluttering up the garage, for a larger
project. So, I'm about to post a Mercury 50hp ( Merc 500 ) and a 65hp (

Merc
650 ) outboards on eBay and was at a bit of a loss as to how one would

ship
items this large and heavy ?. Any sugestions as to packing and how to ship
would be most welcome. Again, sorry for the off-topic post. Thanks for

your
patients.

John

Brian Whatcott

wrote:

Sorry for posting a non-boatbuilding question. I have been ordered to clear
out some unused, but working stuff cluttering up the garage, for a larger
project. So, I'm about to post a Mercury 50hp ( Merc 500 ) and a 65hp ( Merc
650 ) outboards on eBay and was at a bit of a loss as to how one would ship
items this large and heavy ?. Any sugestions as to packing and how to ship
would be most welcome. Again, sorry for the off-topic post. Thanks for your
patients.

John

I have received a Mercruiser out drive which had 1/2 inch blue foam
taped to all surfaces, then covered with corrugated card and strapped.

Brian W

megabite

Easy! Call any Mercury Marine Dealer and ask for the box on the next 4 Cyl.
outboard in your H.P. class. It should come with the crate and supports
neccessary. When I worked at a Merc Dealer, we'd just toss em in the
dumpster.