William R. Watt

Default Rigging knife question

"Doug Kanter" ) writes:
They're beautiful knives. I figured that during a vacation, when a woman's
buying earrings like mad, and OK with paying $11.00 for sandwiches, a knife
wouldn't have been a problem. Live and learn.

"If you buy me this knife I will love you forever. Every time I look at
this knife it will remind me of how much I love you and the children, and
how happy I am that we married. "

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Courtney Thomas

With such a wife,
You need a knife !

:-)

Doug Kanter wrote:

They're beautiful knives. I figured that during a vacation, when a woman's
buying earrings like mad, and OK with paying $11.00 for sandwiches, a knife
wouldn't have been a problem. Live and learn.

"Don White" wrote in message

Like I tell my wife...
It's not a case of need...it's a case of want!
These knives are produced here in Nova Scotia and I believe they still

have

free 'knife sharpening clinics in various
locations on occasion. I haven't gone in a number of years, but it was

neat

to see the old craftsman do his thing in front of an appreciative

audience.

Doug Kanter wrote in message

"Don White" wrote in message

This is the boating knife I carry...plus a Shhrade Tough Tool
*** http://stores.transactive.ca/chinacu...tail.bok?no=51

***

note: 'marlin spike' with slot for shackle pins

I almost bought one of those while visiting Tobermory a few years back.

But,

I made a mistake. My wife asked "Whattya need it for?" I answered "Need?
Whattya mean?"

--
Courtney Thomas
s/v Mutiny

otnmbrd

Fid: A tapered wooden pin used to separate the strands when splicing
heavy rope.

Marlin Spike: An iron or steel pin that tapers to a sharp point, used to
splice wire rope.

Pricker: A light piece of metal like a marlin spike, but with a handle.
Used for the same purpose as a marlin spike.

otn

Steve

I know this will 'fly in the face of other theory's, but I don't believe in
carrying a knife that cost more than I can afford to toss overboard..

In other words, The more expensive the knife, The more likely it will be
dropped over the side.

The knife I'm carrying in my pocket right now cost $8 at WM ten years ago
and in the mean time, I have received as gifts, at least 4 expensive
knives.. Two of the latter have gone over board and the other two are too
bulky to carry around, even in a sheath.

If I need more tools that the spike, shackle pin wrench or knife blade, I
have a complete tool cabinet down below.. This knife handles 99% of all
sailing needs..

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Rigging knife question Rich General 13 January 31st 04 09:52 PM
Another strip-plank question - a bit long Pete Boat Building 3 January 12th 04 08:03 PM
The *best* knife for cutting fish into bait... Harry Krause General 15 December 27th 03 03:59 PM
extending rigging wires Evan Gatehouse Boat Building 13 October 6th 03 07:40 PM
Rigging knife Doug Kanter General 7 August 19th 03 05:40 AM