Walt

Default small outboard on canoe

Im thinking about putting a small 3.5 hp 2 stroke outboard on the square
tansom of a 16 foot long canoe.

My intention is to extend my paddling exploring range by using the
outboard motor to go the three to five miles to where I want to paddle.
At times, the canoe may have 2 adults and 2 kids.

Im expecting that this arrangement will cruise along at maybe 5 mph and
that going to higher horse power (say 5 hp) wont really buy me much in
speed. I also like the weight of the 3.5 hp 2 stroke outboard at 35
pounds which makes it very portable.

Ive never used this arrangement before and hopefully can find out
beforhand if it will do about what Im expecting.

Any coments or experience would be appreciated.

Wally Hall
Denver

steveJ

How about selling that old wide square stern canoe and scrapping
the motor, the gas, the registration,etc. and buying a decent
touring canoe that paddles efficiently? It might take you about
20 minutes longer to get to where you are going but everyone
will be better off. Personally I prefer an Adirondack Guideboat
which can be rowed at about 5 miles per hour on little more than a
cold beer and a tunafish sandwich, but I may have my priorities in a
different place than you.

Walt wrote:
Im thinking about putting a small 3.5 hp 2 stroke outboard on the square
tansom of a 16 foot long canoe.

My intention is to extend my paddling exploring range by using the
outboard motor to go the three to five miles to where I want to paddle.
At times, the canoe may have 2 adults and 2 kids.

Im expecting that this arrangement will cruise along at maybe 5 mph and
that going to higher horse power (say 5 hp) wont really buy me much in
speed. I also like the weight of the 3.5 hp 2 stroke outboard at 35
pounds which makes it very portable.

Ive never used this arrangement before and hopefully can find out
beforhand if it will do about what Im expecting.

Any coments or experience would be appreciated.

Wally Hall
Denver

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 03:15:04 GMT, Walt wrote:

Im thinking about putting a small 3.5 hp 2 stroke outboard on the square
tansom of a 16 foot long canoe.

My intention is to extend my paddling exploring range by using the
outboard motor to go the three to five miles to where I want to paddle.
At times, the canoe may have 2 adults and 2 kids.

Im expecting that this arrangement will cruise along at maybe 5 mph and
that going to higher horse power (say 5 hp) wont really buy me much in
speed. I also like the weight of the 3.5 hp 2 stroke outboard at 35
pounds which makes it very portable.

Ive never used this arrangement before and hopefully can find out
beforhand if it will do about what Im expecting.

I think it likely a 2 HP would do what you want, and weigh about 22
lbs. We got one when our 3.5 failed, and it did fine. I think it was
Suzuki, but maybe Yamaha.

We put the inflatable up against the stern of our J36 once and opened
the throttle. It started into motion right away. Calm, of course.

Why not make the two kids paddle until you are where you want to? :-)

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Entering your freshman dorm for the first time, and seeing
an axe head come through the door on your right.
Paul R. LaBrie

Walt wrote:

Im thinking about putting a small 3.5 hp 2 stroke outboard on the square
tansom of a 16 foot long canoe. 8 snip...

I've been using a Honda four-stroke 2 hp outboard to power an old 18 foot
Grumman canoe (using a side mount). The motor is quite adequate to the
task yet still relatively light in weight considering that it's not a
two-stroke motor. Much easier on the fuel and the environment. We use it
to go up a nearby river where the currents preclude paddling.

- p

William R. Watt

That combination will work fine. When my father was prospecting he used a
16 ft Peterborough canvas-over-cedar square transom canoe with a 3 hp
Evinrude Fisherman (1930's vintage). A canoe is not a planing hull so
adding more horsepower will only waste fuel. A 3 hp outboard will drive
most boats up to 15 ft at "hull" speed.

There is a photo of the canoe on top of my grandfather's pickup truck at
my website (see below). Click on "Himself", and "1964, Restoule, Ontario"
under "Body Shots"
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Kevin Fitz-Gerald

"Walt" wrote in message ...
Im thinking about putting a small 3.5 hp 2 stroke outboard on the square
tansom of a 16 foot long canoe.
Ive never used this arrangement before and hopefully can find out
beforhand if it will do about what Im expecting.
Any coments or experience would be appreciated.

Wally,

I had a 1.2 hp Tanaka on a Snipe sailboat that had been converted to a duck
boat. The thing weighed in excess of 400 lbs loaded. Believe it or not,
that little motor pushed that big boat at a fast walking speed (5 mph?). I
think you will be fine.

Regards,
Kevin Fitz-Gerald
Defiance, OH

William R. Watt

"Kevin Fitz-Gerald" ) writes:

Wally,

I had a 1.2 hp Tanaka on a Snipe sailboat that had been converted to a duck
boat. The thing weighed in excess of 400 lbs loaded. Believe it or not,
that little motor pushed that big boat at a fast walking speed (5 mph?). I
think you will be fine.

"Walking speed" is only half that, 2.5 mph. It agrees with the time it
takes me to complete my daily 2 mi walk.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Backyard Renegade

Walt wrote in message ...
Im thinking about putting a small 3.5 hp 2 stroke outboard on the square
tansom of a 16 foot long canoe.

My intention is to extend my paddling exploring range by using the
outboard motor to go the three to five miles to where I want to paddle.
At times, the canoe may have 2 adults and 2 kids.

Im expecting that this arrangement will cruise along at maybe 5 mph and
that going to higher horse power (say 5 hp) wont really buy me much in
speed. I also like the weight of the 3.5 hp 2 stroke outboard at 35
pounds which makes it very portable.

Ive never used this arrangement before and hopefully can find out
beforhand if it will do about what Im expecting.

Any coments or experience would be appreciated.

Wally Hall
Denver

I agree with everyone else, get a 2 horse, it will do just fine.
Probably, note I said probably go as fast as with a three.
Scotty from SmallBoats.com
Mike Brannon

"Walt"
Im thinking about putting a small 3.5 hp 2 stroke outboard on the square
tansom of a 16 foot long canoe.
(snip)

Once upon a time I had that exact arrangement. A 16' square sterned
homemade canoe with a old sears 3.5hp Eska pushing it along. I pulled the
thin plywood floor out and poured in two part foam to make it stay on top of
the water. Then added a sheet of new plywood so we could stand up while
inside(tricky). The boat weighed about 100 lbs I think. The motor was
around 45 lbs. I could easily car top it on my old '67 Valiant to Newport
Bay, California and back. Ugly but it worked. My brother and I would take
our fishing gear a cooler and "tuna sandwiches" out through the jetties(like
gilligan) and park off the beach for an afternoon fishing. Fully loaded it
would make around 6mph...light maybe 7 1/2.. For protected water family
picnic boat to explore a lake or calm harbor with the kids..it would be
great fun..just keep the kids sitting still, afterall it is still a canoe.
best regards, mike

Small outboard recomendations Ian Kay General 2 March 1st 04 06:44 AM
can I convert a long shaft small outboard to short shaft mike General 6 February 23rd 04 07:13 PM
OT Bush hatred basskisser General 210 February 16th 04 02:46 PM
Need books, articles, website to design a canoe (concrete) Pablo Boat Building 5 October 17th 03 12:33 AM