jotis

Default Luan 1/8" for skiff?

Do you think it is possible to build an 8-foot skiff or dinghy using 1/8"
luan?

Joseph

Brian Combs

No, absolutely not. You will need something to hold it together other than
the luan. Maybe some epoxy or something like that. ;-)

Sorry, I got carried away. Sure you can but check with the designer to be
sure. Of course good marine ply is preferred but the luan will definitely
work.

Brian

Jim Conlin

You can certainly build something that is shaped like a boat. But, the
structural properties of lauan are so unreliable that putting your 'boat' in
the water is inadvisable, particularly if the water is more than knee-deep.
Use the materials that the designer specifies.

jotis wrote:

Do you think it is possible to build an 8-foot skiff or dinghy using 1/8"
luan?

Joseph

Ron Magen

Joe,
I don't even think there is a 1/8 in 'Lauan' . . . do you mean 'Doorskins' ?

While using the material 'as is', is one BAD idea, using it as a
'sub-structure' could produce either a 'decent' boat, or a 'very good' boat.

There are a couple of designs for small boats {a man named Brown developed
one for a simple dory - I think he sold it to Clark-Craft}that use the stuff
.. . . encapsulated or overlaid with epoxy or epoxy-saturated cloth. In
addition there are many very successful plans for 'strip-built' boats
{sometimes called 'cold-molding'}. By using 1/8 in Lauan, the steps to cut
'slices' from '2x ' stock are eliminated. Be warned . . . the 'strips -
where ever they come from - are either coated or saturated with glue or
epoxy. Further, in 'modern' techniques, the hull is covered with a layer of
epoxy-saturated fiberglass cloth.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

jotis wrote:

Do you think it is possible to build an 8-foot skiff or dinghy using

1/8"
luan?

Joseph

William R. Watt

TF Jones wrote about a tortured ply kayak made of thin marine plywood. He
said he would not want to hit anything with it. Canoe and kayak plans
often call for plywood thinner than 1/4". They are metric marine plywood
sizes with which I am not familiar.

I've made my three small aboats out of 1/5" (5.22 mm?) underlayment
plywood, lauan and virola. The lauan weighs 17 lb per sheet, the vriola
only 8.5 lb. Two boats are kept inside the garage when not in use and are
doing fine. I don't expect he one (virola) kept outside to last as long. I
wouldn't recommend the virola for longevity. There is info on the boats on
my website.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Dan

I've never done it, so that may disqualify my thoughts on the matter
instantly but....

1/8 Luan is designed for use under soft flooring material, to level out
any imperfections in the sub-floor. That implies two things, 1) it has a
relatively high compressive strength, and 2) for short distances (1-3
inches) the tensile strength of the skinning material is pretty good.

I would think that coated on both sides with epoxy or polyester resin (
and gelcoat if poly) the material would be fine for small, one or two
person boats, less that 10-11 foot. Coated with good fiberglass, even
better.

jotis wrote:

Do you think it is possible to build an 8-foot skiff or dinghy using 1/8"
luan?

Joseph

Brian

Luan is used for subfloor under some types of flooring. It is a sort of
mahogany species. Meranti is sometimes the species used in luan plywood. Do
a google search for meranti plywood and you come up with boat building
results. If I were to build a skiff I would use 3/8" or 1/2" since 1/8"
luan will easily warp anywhere it needs to span any structural members.
"jotis" wrote in message
Do you think it is possible to build an 8-foot skiff or dinghy using 1/8"
luan?

Joseph

William R. Watt

sorry but the info below is incorrect. lauan underlayment is 1/5" thick (I
think that's 5.2 mm). it has a thick inner ply of rough wood that is
almost rods (sort of looks like fibreglass roving), and two thin face plys
one of which is smooth of light colour and the other rougher, full of worm
holes, and a reddish colour. there is a 1/8" thick lauan plywood called
"doorskin" because it's used to make hollow doors. it is not exterior
grade. I've used both plywoods in my small cheap boats. photos of the
Dogskiff and Loonie show boats made of lauan underlayment plywood , and
photos of the folding cabin show lauan doorskin plywood. neither is a
"marine" plywood but that didn't stop me from using them or from enjoying
the low cost boats made from them.

jotis wrote:

Do you think it is possible to build an 8-foot skiff or dinghy using 1/8"
luan?

Joseph

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Jim Conlin

There is ZERO quality control in so-called 'lauan' underlayment. In its intended
use, as underlayment for your kitchen lino, it's expected to be flat and to
tolerate moderate compressive loads, nothing more. The only thing you can be
confident of is that it's 4' x 8' x 1/4". It's only flat if it's nailed to
something and its water resistance is frequently zilch. The species used varies
from lift to lift. That's why it costs $8/sheet.
Its use in boats should be limited to:
*patterns
*Cradle boats which are to be painted
*Small boats which will only be used in knee-deep water in gentle conditions.
*Boats used in the third world, where life is cheap ;-) .

Jim

jotis wrote:

Do you think it is possible to build an 8-foot skiff or dinghy using 1/8"
luan?

Joseph

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Backyard Renegade

Dan wrote in message .. .
I've never done it, so that may disqualify my thoughts on the matter
instantly but....

1/8 Luan is designed for use under soft flooring material, to level out
any imperfections in the sub-floor. That implies two things, 1) it has a
relatively high compressive strength, and 2) for short distances (1-3
inches) the tensile strength of the skinning material is pretty good.

I would think that coated on both sides with epoxy or polyester resin (
and gelcoat if poly) the material would be fine for small, one or two
person boats, less that 10-11 foot. Coated with good fiberglass, even
better.

The problem is that inner layer. Like William said, it is like rods
and frequently has voids that run full length or nearly, hidden under
the skins. Many times these voids do not show up until you cut, sand,
or snap the piece putting it in. Anyway, the fact that the center is
harder wood, and frequently void filled, it makes the softer outer
skins prone to snapping, much like scoring a tile or piece of glass
then bending it...
Scotty