Ron Magen

Default Luan 1/8" for skiff?

Joe,
I don't even think there is a 1/8 in 'Lauan' . . . do you mean 'Doorskins' ?

While using the material 'as is', is one BAD idea, using it as a
'sub-structure' could produce either a 'decent' boat, or a 'very good' boat.

There are a couple of designs for small boats {a man named Brown developed
one for a simple dory - I think he sold it to Clark-Craft}that use the stuff
.. . . encapsulated or overlaid with epoxy or epoxy-saturated cloth. In
addition there are many very successful plans for 'strip-built' boats
{sometimes called 'cold-molding'}. By using 1/8 in Lauan, the steps to cut
'slices' from '2x ' stock are eliminated. Be warned . . . the 'strips -
where ever they come from - are either coated or saturated with glue or
epoxy. Further, in 'modern' techniques, the hull is covered with a layer of
epoxy-saturated fiberglass cloth.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
You can certainly build something that is shaped like a boat. But, the
structural properties of lauan are so unreliable that putting your 'boat'

in
the water is inadvisable, particularly if the water is more than

knee-deep.
Use the materials that the designer specifies.

jotis wrote:

Do you think it is possible to build an 8-foot skiff or dinghy using

1/8"
luan?

Joseph