me

Default Battery question

You were all such great help when I built my kayak and canoe, I thought
someone might be able to help me on this. I bought a small 16 foot boat
last month with a 60 4 stroke Yamaha and wanted to install a 12 volt
trolling motor for fishing. My question is, should I install a seperate
deep cell battery for the trolling motor and charge it when I'm done
fishing, or replace the battery that's on the boat with two deep cells. I
figured the motor would recharge the batteries but I wasn't sure if they
could handle starting the motor, running the trolling motor, bilge, lights,
and my son's Game Boy. And would the motor be able to recharge both
batteries. Any suggestions or opinions?

Ron Alexander

Add a deep discharge for trolling.

Depending on your charging circuitry, you will either be able to do 2 at
once or you will need to buy a dual charger for the Yamaha.

What you want, is the ability to "isolate" the 2nd battery for the trolling
motor so you always have a fully charged main battery for starting.

"me" wrote in message
.. .
You were all such great help when I built my kayak and canoe, I thought
someone might be able to help me on this. I bought a small 16 foot boat
last month with a 60 4 stroke Yamaha and wanted to install a 12 volt
trolling motor for fishing. My question is, should I install a seperate
deep cell battery for the trolling motor and charge it when I'm done
fishing, or replace the battery that's on the boat with two deep cells. I
figured the motor would recharge the batteries but I wasn't sure if they
could handle starting the motor, running the trolling motor, bilge,

lights,
and my son's Game Boy. And would the motor be able to recharge both
batteries. Any suggestions or opinions?

John

"me" wrote in message ...
You were all such great help when I built my kayak and canoe, I thought
someone might be able to help me on this. I bought a small 16 foot boat
last month with a 60 4 stroke Yamaha and wanted to install a 12 volt
trolling motor for fishing. My question is, should I install a seperate
deep cell battery for the trolling motor and charge it when I'm done
fishing, or replace the battery that's on the boat with two deep cells. I
figured the motor would recharge the batteries but I wasn't sure if they
could handle starting the motor, running the trolling motor, bilge, lights,
and my son's Game Boy. And would the motor be able to recharge both
batteries. Any suggestions or opinions?

I'm not sure if you'll really need a seperate trolling motor. Why not
try fishing without it at least a few times first, then, if you really
need it, OK, buy one.

But, if you really feel you need a trolling motor, I would go with two
batteries and a battery switch. Set the switch to one of the battery
positions (battery 1 or battery 2, not the both position)when using
the trolling motor and, when you run the outboard, set it to the both
position. This way, when running the trolling motor, worst case, you
run the one battery until it's dead, then you just flip the switch to
the other battery position and you can still start the outboard with
the other battery. By switching to the both position when running the
outboard you can charge both batteries.
Dazed and Confuzed

John wrote:

"me" wrote in message ...
[...]

or use a "battery isolator" from JC whitney. About 70 bucks. One charge circuit, two discharge
circuits. I think it is just a couple of diodes in a large heatsink, but they DO work...

--

A friend is someone who knows you, understands the essential conflicts in your thinking, in your
morals, and in your philosophy, and like you anyway.

Jim Rabey

Generally speaking, the alternators on outboards are NOT strong enough to
recharge a discharged trolling motor battery in any kind of normal
timeframe... yes, it can replenish the trolling battery somewhat, but I
believe you should factor in a battery charger fot topping off after the
fishing trip.

Delaware Jim.
"Dazed and Confuzed" wrote in message
John wrote:

"me" wrote in message

[...]

bowgus

And interestingly enough, an alternator is not a battery charger ...
meaning, if you were to run the deep cycle right down, then attempt to
charge it using the alternator, you would likely find the alternator getting
very hot and possibly failing ... my understanding.

I myself use a starting battery (450 amp) and a deep cycle for trolling.
Last season I tried charging the deep cycle "on the way out" and "on the way
back" using jumper cables ... every canadian has a set of these, somewhere
:-) ... to the starting battery after starting the engine (3.8 litre V6, 70
amp alternator). Seems to work, so this year I'll install appropriate wiring
and a switch.

But I will be careful not to discharge the deep cycle to far. If I do, I'll
charge it when I get home.

"me" wrote in message
.. .
You were all such great help when I built my kayak and canoe, I thought
someone might be able to help me on this. I bought a small 16 foot boat
last month with a 60 4 stroke Yamaha and wanted to install a 12 volt
trolling motor for fishing. My question is, should I install a seperate
deep cell battery for the trolling motor and charge it when I'm done
fishing, or replace the battery that's on the boat with two deep cells. I
figured the motor would recharge the batteries but I wasn't sure if they
could handle starting the motor, running the trolling motor, bilge,

lights,
and my son's Game Boy. And would the motor be able to recharge both
batteries. Any suggestions or opinions?

Another deep cycle battery question...>>> Marty S. General 7 May 31st 04 11:58 AM
Battery drain question [email protected] General 5 May 3rd 04 09:14 PM
Battery Switch Rating Question Agreed General 2 April 7th 04 09:54 PM
Battery question Jim Woodard General 18 March 12th 04 06:09 AM
Battery Question Belgian General 2 July 18th 03 04:25 PM