Lloyd Sumpter

Default Epoxy or Poly for poly repairs?

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:59:53 +0000, Brian Nystrom wrote:

Toolowd wrote:
Well the problem lies in the fact that the polyester gelcoat would not stick
to the epoxy.

You will have to use poly. I won't stick as well, but will have to do.

Gelcoat is purely cosmetic and I'm far more concerned with the strength of the
underlying repair, so epoxy gets the nod for that. I've applied gelcoat over
epoxy repairs and it works fine as long as you sand the epoxy surface.

Sounds like I may need a "two-part solution"

For the jobs that need strength (like the stringers), I'll use epoxy, and
hope the gelcoat sticks ok. For the gouges, scratches, cracks, etc. that are
"purely cosmetic" I'll use poly/gelcoat.

Lloyd

Brian Nystrom

Toolowd wrote:

Well the problem lies in the fact that the polyester gelcoat would not stick
to the epoxy.

You will have to use poly. I won't stick as well, but will have to do.

Gelcoat is purely cosmetic and I'm far more concerned with the strength of the
underlying repair, so epoxy gets the nod for that. I've applied gelcoat over
epoxy repairs and it works fine as long as you sand the epoxy surface.

Sounds like I may need a "two-part solution"

For the jobs that need strength (like the stringers), I'll use epoxy, and
hope the gelcoat sticks ok. For the gouges, scratches, cracks, etc. that are
"purely cosmetic" I'll use poly/gelcoat.

That sounds like a sensible approach to me.

--
Regards

Brian

Alexander A. Meller

I'm doing some repairs to my Catalina 36, which is made from polyester
resin/glass over wood (like most "fibreglass" boats). Should I stick with
poly
resin, or go with epoxy? I know epoxy is "better", but I'm concerned that it
wouldn't stick well to the existing poly, and that the (poly?) gelcoat won't
stick to it.

Suggestions?

Lloyd,

Based on my 30 years (mostly as an amateur repairing my own and friend's boats,
a few summer jobs and one "inbetween serious IT employment" stint at Waterat,
probabably the best small high performance boat builder in the galaxy"), I
would NEVER use polyester resin to do a repair. Repair with epoxy. Sand the
area you are repairing well and the epoxy will stick to it much better than
polyester will.

As for gelcoat (polyester) sticking to epoxy. It works for me. Just build up
the repair with epoxy and whatever glass, Kevlar, carbon fiber, etc.
reinforcements you intend to use, level it with epoxy and filler, sand with 60
or 100 grit and gelcoat it. Hint - you can tint the last epoxy layer with some
of the gelcoat, so the substrate is close to the color of the gelcoat. Don't
use much gelcoat for this, just enough to color the epoxy resin, and don't
bother catalysing it. Always mix fillers, tints, etc. into epoxy AFTER mixing
the resin and hardner.

Alexander "Ali" Meller
505s 7200, 8776, 7080
Albacore 4862
Laser 11166, 173969
Lloyd Sumpter

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 00:41:06 +0000, Alexander A. Meller wrote:

[...]

Interesting - I've never heard of this. I was taught to use the same material
for repairs as original - the theory being a "perfect" repair would be
indistinguishable from the rest of the hull - even with xray, etc. (talking
about cosmetic repairs here...)

Interesting tip on mixing gelcoat with epoxy.

Lloyd

Chris

Do you mean mixing in the gelcoat or the pigment with the epoxy?

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
[...]

epoxy does so pass water William R. Watt Boat Building 14 November 11th 03 12:52 PM
Epoxy sales carlp Boat Building 11 October 11th 03 08:57 PM
Epoxy or Poly resin? Lloyd Sumpter Boat Building 1 August 28th 03 02:38 AM
epoxy bite to wood Ron Thornton Boat Building 16 August 21st 03 02:22 PM
Epoxy stanchions to deck?? [email protected] General 0 July 16th 03 05:09 PM