Default Epoxy stanchions to deck??

Picked up our first boat ever, a used 33' Carver, and we're about to start a
few minor repairs. Couple of questions...

A few stanchions are cracked near the mounting holes. How is it that
stainless steel "cracks". It would seem to me that steel would be tougher
than that.

Also, one of the stanchions has had the screw pulled away from the deck
leaving a hole that can't be reused as is. Should we just epoxy the
replacement screw into the deck? If so, any suggestions for a specific type
of epoxy?

Thanks.

-Jim