Brian D

Default working dory paint

If I recall, that was the reason for the 'buff' color too. For whatever
reason, it shows up better. Same goes for green BTW ...hard to believe, but
you know what they say about "seeing is believing" (pardon the pun.) Nice
links by the way. Does the 'boats2build2003' guy/gal at geocities have a
main photos page to go to, or are these two pix the only ones available?
Love to see more ...great pix ! (thanks!)

Brian

"stevej" wrote in message
Actually, now that I think of it, the most common color was a bright
yellow. I remember one owner saying it showed up best in a fog. Bright
colors predominated.

stevej wrote:
Here are two links to pictures I took of some real working dories on
Grand Manan Island. Everyone's dory, and there were a lot of them, was
painted a different color. These boats were used for harvesting Dulse
weed which is dried and sold as food.
The dories had plastic looking bottom protecting panels that they said
were "teflon". I asked the builder fellow, who built most of the dories,
where he got the design and he said they were basically Lunenburg dories
that were modified at the stern to accept a long shaft outboard.
This is one of the few places I've seen in eastern Canada where real
simple woodenboats are used for real work. except mabey the few
remaining wood lobster boats in Maine.
I wonder if anyone else knows of any other examples?
http://www.geocities.com/boats2build2003/300dories.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/boats2build2003/300dories2.jpg
SteveJ

Mike Brannon wrote:

Greetings to the group,
I'm building a dory from a John Gardner book. It is a simple

swampscott
tender model. I have done a ocean of research on these craft and have
yet
to come across a description of the paint color scheme. All the pretty
coffee table books with wood boats show few dories. All the old photos

that
I have found are black & white. So folks, what traditonal colors
would look
good on my dory (inside,outside,trim)?

PS. I picked up a new Jet 14" bandsaw recently. It is the deluxe model
with
a 1 1/4hp motor. It is plenty powerful for oak and is remarkably

quiet.
The "do it yourself- backyard boatbuilder" this is about the largest
saw to
own without going commercial. For those of you that may be hunting
for a
wood band saw I rate it tops. Unfortunately it doesn't come with a

fence.
The Jet folks need to step up and offer one with the saw. :-(

Best regards,
Michael Brannon

Foo Bar

I'm building a dory from a John Gardner book. .......
So folks, what traditonal colors would look
good on my dory (inside,outside,trim)?

When I built my swampscot dory (with a 1908 Gray one-lung) I asked John what
color he thought it should be painted. He suggested a light gray, which I
did. When I took the boat to Mystic to show him he liked it.

ron ginger

stevej

That's all I have of the dories, Brian. That was a great trip out to
Grand Manan Island two years ago. Real interesting place.
I do have an old site with a few other boat projects on it.
Please excuse the dead links as I have not been maintaining this site
lately. Someday I'll rework it.
I'm currently working on a skin on frame kayak.
http://www.geocities.com/new_old_boa...x/oldboat2.htm
SteveJ

Mike Brannon wrote:

[...]

Brian D

SteveJ,

Looked for the skin on frame kayak at the URL you gave...didn't find it.
More info? Looks like you're an accomplished builder/boater ...I'm
impressed. Keep up the good work and keep showing us pix!

Brian

Mike Brannon wrote:

[...]

stevej

Brian,
Sorry to imply that I had pics of the skin on frame kayak project.
I have not posted them yet.
SteveJ

[...]

Brian D

It's ok. I just like looking at people's boats that they've built, or are
currently building. An enjoyable pastime for when the epoxy is curing out
in the shop. Here's mine (not current ...been busy lately):
http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass (Follow link to construction
photos)

Brian

[...]

Spyda Man

My father an old New England Doryman always painted his dories in either
of these 2 color combintions- 1. White exterior of hull with (Interlux)
Spar Buff gunwales and interior with white thoarts. 2. Navy Gray
exterior, and interior with white gunwales, and thoarts. His oars, and
tholl pins were always finished with natural boiled linseed oil or "deck
oil" a wood preservative concoction consisting of equal proportions of
boiled linseed oil, pine tar, and natural turpentine. He probley has
owned close to a dozen dories in his lifetime. Hope that helps.

Spy in Hawaii