Michael

Default What to do after removing carpet

Hi,

I have a 24' 1977 Sea Ray with a really awful carpet which needless to say
has seen better days. I am in the process of sprucing up my boat and one of
the things I want to do is to remove the carpet and put a more user friendly
coating on the decking. Something that will stand up to the hot Texas sun
but will also allow for easy cleanup if I decide to go the Gulf and fish a
little.

I am open for suggestions. I will probably repair a couple of soft spots
around the engine cowling as well as in the galley. I had thought of a
couple of options.

1. Remove the carpet/glue, then either epoxy or fiberglass gel coat the old
plywood and any new that I might install. Then paint the water proofed
wood.

2. All the above (without the paint) and spray "bed liner" on the decking.
I don't know if that would be a good idea or not, since I haven't checked to
see if the bed liner material will adhere to fiberglass/epoxy finished wood.

Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

Michael in Dallas

BruceM

Why not go the whole hog & turn it into a millionaires boat?
Do the yachties trick of laying down timber & clear epoxy over it. Have a
look around a few boat yards for ideas.
BruceM

"Michael" wrote in message
[...]

Michael

Bruce,

First of all I'm not a millionaire!! :-)

Second, I'm more into practical than I am looks. The carpet is a real bear
to clean after going to the Gulf to fish. The odor of squid juice is VERY
hard to get out!

So, do you think just removing the carpet, sealing the decking and either
painting or applying the spray on bed liner would serve for a long term,
utilitarian solutions?

Michael in Dallas

"Michael" wrote in message
[...]

RG

If you go through the trouble to remove and clean the carpet area, you could
simply paint /maybe epoxy paint / the area and sprinkle sand to create a
non-skid surface. Not much fun to kneel down on though.

I also once used the "salt sprinkle" method. I painted an area; let the
paint dry...then re-painted the area with a 2nd coat and sprinkled salt on
the surface prior to the second coat of paint drying. When it was dry, I
washed and scrubbed the area to dissolve the salt granules. The pock marked
finish looked very good and provided a cheap, non-skid surface.

I think it is important that you first give the target area a single clean
coat of paint, before the second, salt impregnated coating. That way, there
will still be a finish coat covering, even after the salt crystals dissolve.

I've heard that the spray-on bed liners can be very heavy. I'd also worry
that they might crack, as a boat deck probably moves a lot more than a truck
bed. A bedliner seems hot and heavy for this application.
RG

sour (max camirand)

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 20:20:27 -0600, "Michael"
wrote:

[...]

If I were you, I would take a scrap piece of plywood, finish it the
same way the decking plywood will be finished, and try the bedliner.
You don't want to spray it on your boat only to find out that it
doesn't adhere well.

-m
Lee Huddleston

Michael,

You might want to check out a product called Durabak. Their website
is at http://www.nonslipcoating.com/index.htm I am thinking of
painting it on the deck of my steel hulled & decked boat. I do not
have any personal experience with the product, but the website makes
it sound very good. I think that I got the lead on the product from
this list.

Lee Huddleston
s/v Truelove

ugly permanent boat rug / carpet - options? [email protected] General 10 September 1st 20 05:26 PM
bayliner Capri 1999 original floor / carpet gets soaked from rain sometimes [email protected] General 8 July 2nd 04 10:30 PM
Carpet for trailer bunks Doug Kanter General 9 June 22nd 04 03:15 PM
marine carpet tcoop General 9 February 9th 04 03:46 AM
Removing windshield from 36' Trojan Tricabin Gary General 1 October 26th 03 10:37 PM