posted to rec.boats.building

Default Generating plywood panels from hull sections

But Brian please understand, that offcaurse the exact software you ask
; realy would you think it wasn't the idea to share both designs and
old for me old fasion applications , boatsbuilding was over with my
Cyber-Boat experience ,and as it seem ,and even I now mean that silli
unfolding are not the issue ,then offcaurse the software _and_ the
designs I build just to document the method ,shuld realy both be public
avaible. ---- My sad exchouse why I lost the reson to do it ,and
acturly found it irelevant to build further on a dead end building
method ; now I just say that nomatter how exact you cut thin metal
sheet then without something to place the panels on or lock together ,
realy unfolding are quite trivial the real issue is what to put the
unfolded panels on to , -- if you have the framework you could even do
the lofting the old boatsbuilder way on site on a framework that's
nothing.
Guess why I sort of lost the drive even I maneaged to upload all the
most important Cyber-Boat drawings into the Yahoo groups, realy it was
the idea to also publish the applications and, even they are old and
dusty, they seem to do exactly what still is expected , but give me
just one reson why even bother .
I think I once placed all the software on a floppy --- you load a new
AutoCAD menu where the various design tools are listed with a screen
menu. But realy ; why even bother ; if so I shuld publish the Lisp
applications ,the code that make up each application , well why not.

You see the method are difficult and unless there are a planned
structure ,it is a mess nomatter how accurate the sheets are cut, so I
guess I don't "lose" anything, publishing software that was relevant
for me as boatsbuilder 20 years ago )

posted to rec.boats.building
Paolo Zini

I have a set of 20 hull sections that I would like to input into a
design program, then generate panels for S&G construction. Any
suggestions for software that will allow me to do that?

You can do it using Hullform 8 or 9, plate enanced version.
You can start creating one hull with the correct section and chine numbers,
afther that you can edit the section (edit sections, then text edit)
entering the new numbers...
You can also use free!ship http://www.freeship.org/ that can make the same
thing in a similar way.

I speak about free software because I am a non professional, then I use only
free or demo software...

Paolo

posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Nystrom

Paolo Zini wrote:
I have a set of 20 hull sections that I would like to input into a
design program, then generate panels for S&G construction. Any
suggestions for software that will allow me to do that?

You can do it using Hullform 8 or 9, plate enanced version.
You can start creating one hull with the correct section and chine numbers,
afther that you can edit the section (edit sections, then text edit)
entering the new numbers...
You can also use free!ship http://www.freeship.org/ that can make the same
thing in a similar way.

I speak about free software because I am a non professional, then I use only
free or demo software...

Thanks for the link Paolo. I downloaded it and found a similar design
that I may be able to modify, rather than starting from scratch. We'll see.

Brian Nystrom wrote:
Paolo Zini wrote:

[...]

As it turns out, FREE!ships is exactly what I was looking for and will
do everything I need. Thanks again, Paolo.