posted to rec.boats.building

Default Generating plywood panels from hull sections

Sorry I have no suggestion but I tell you how I solved that problem 15
years ago ; I wrote my own software. See most CAD can do polygon
meshes but AutoCAD only offer a limited way -- rulesurf ,edgesurf are
very limited and will not produce a complex shape but that is not the
real problem, the real problem is , what to use it for .
If you want this it must be to be able to unfold the panels from the 3
D model right ?
Then Rhino maby can solve your problem have you tried that ?
3DMax offer a way to pick one defination line after the other just like
you expect, but can that be used for anything else than rendering the
hull form ?

As I said I wrote my own software that show no limits, I can pick as
many 3D polylines as I want untill the shape are right --- even my
experience are that the fewer lines the more smooth a hull, but I also
had to make my own software to unfold the polygon mesh into panels or
planks, ---- in these years I tried the other software that claim to do
the trick and none of it realy offered something that could be used ;
usealy to rough and way to little faces in the meshes to make anything
but very clumpsy designs. But Rhino shuld be able to unfold meshes made
in Rhino. --- the only one I did not test, except it do not unfold
meshes made in AutoCAD and imported into Rhino.

Hope this was an advise )