posted to rec.boats.building
dadiOH

Default D4 dinghy daggerboard

The plans for the daggerboard show a couple of pieces of wood across
the top with a hole near the front and aniother near the back.
Additionally, there is a smallish forward sloping, rounded "V" shape
area near the front that is cut out.

Does anyone know the purpose of the holes and cut out? Plan doesn't
mention them.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

posted to rec.boats.building
Classic Boatworks of Maine

The strips of wood are to keep the daggerboard from falling thru the
daggerboard well. The holes are for a pin, the notch is to fit into a
receptacle in the well so when the board goes down is slides slightly aft
and the notch goes into a retainer.
This keeps it down and firm.

--
Marshall and Jo Duhaime, Jr
Classic Boatworks of Maine

Classic Boatworks of Maine wrote:
The strips of wood are to keep the daggerboard from falling thru the
daggerboard well. The holes are for a pin, the notch is to fit into a
receptacle in the well so when the board goes down is slides slightly
aft and the notch goes into a retainer.
This keeps it down and firm.

Thanks for your answer, couple of more questions...

1. I understand the wood strips - wider than the well opening, keeps the
board in the boat.

2. Being wider, how does a notch in the board retaining strips engage a
receptacle within the well? I mean, said receptacle has to be moveable
so the board can be inserted in the first place. Is it perhaps a
sliding device on top of the well that is moved into position after
inserting the board?

3. Regarding the pin, what is its purpose? I could understand a pin to
hold the board up in other than full down position in which case they
too would be moveable ones on top of the well and engage hole(s) in
lower parts of the board but these appear to be through the boards that
keep the board from falling through the well.

Thanks again...

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

posted to rec.boats.building
Meindert Sprang

"dadiOH" wrote in message
3. Regarding the pin, what is its purpose? I could understand a pin to
hold the board up in other than full down position.....

Well, ehrr, a wooden daggerboard floats........

Meindert

Meindert Sprang wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
3. Regarding the pin, what is its purpose? I could understand a pin
to hold the board up in other than full down position.....

Well, ehrr, a wooden daggerboard floats........

Yeah, I know. But the hole(s) are in the board at the top of the
daggerboard...the one that keeps the daggerboard from going too far
down. Putting a pin through that won't keep the board from coming up
unless the pin *also* goes into something attached to the well and
therein lies my consternation...the plans don't show or mention anything
to receive the pin. Or pins as there are two holes in the board at the
top of the daggerboard - one at the front, other at the back.

Maybe I'll switch to a lead keel

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Yeah, I know. But the hole(s) are in the board at the top of the
daggerboard...the one that keeps the daggerboard from going too far
down. Putting a pin through that won't keep the board from coming up
unless the pin *also* goes into something attached to the well...

I would expect holes in the well itself, along the topside. But I'm not
familiar with that specific design.

Meindert

Handheld aboard dinghy [email protected] Electronics 9 November 29th 05 09:01 PM
The Best Dinghy! Capt. Rob ASA 1 November 11th 05 02:49 AM
Watertender 8.8 dinghy for sale Steve Schwartz General 0 November 5th 05 08:53 PM
painting a fiberglass dinghy [email protected] Boat Building 5 October 30th 05 02:13 PM
Stowing Dinghy on Pacific Seacraft 34 db9 Cruising 13 October 14th 05 06:18 PM