posted to rec.boats.building
dadiOH

Default D4 dinghy daggerboard

Classic Boatworks of Maine wrote:
The strips of wood are to keep the daggerboard from falling thru the
daggerboard well. The holes are for a pin, the notch is to fit into a
receptacle in the well so when the board goes down is slides slightly
aft and the notch goes into a retainer.
This keeps it down and firm.

Thanks for your answer, couple of more questions...

1. I understand the wood strips - wider than the well opening, keeps the
board in the boat.

2. Being wider, how does a notch in the board retaining strips engage a
receptacle within the well? I mean, said receptacle has to be moveable
so the board can be inserted in the first place. Is it perhaps a
sliding device on top of the well that is moved into position after
inserting the board?

3. Regarding the pin, what is its purpose? I could understand a pin to
hold the board up in other than full down position in which case they
too would be moveable ones on top of the well and engage hole(s) in
lower parts of the board but these appear to be through the boards that
keep the board from falling through the well.

Thanks again...

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...