Shane D. Maudiss

Default Building a battleship

What do I need for a modern battleship ?
Karin Conover-Lewis

Your own country. Good luck.

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

"Shane D. Maudiss" wrote in message
m...
What do I need for a modern battleship ?

Lew Hodgett

"Shane D. Maudiss" writes:

What do I need for a modern battleship ?

A big bank account for openers.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Keith

A box from Milton-Bradley? You'll get a carrier and minesweeper to boot.

"Shane D. Maudiss" wrote in message
m...
What do I need for a modern battleship ?

DSK

"Shane D. Maudiss" wrote:

What do I need for a modern battleship ?

Why modern? Show some class, get a trireme.

DSK

Chris

"Shane D. Maudiss" wrote in message
m...
What do I need for a modern battleship ?

What do you need your "battleship" to do?

For anti-ship and anti-submarine considerations, torpedoes and depth charges
can be fashioned, with alittle know-how, and mounted to a fairly light hull.

For anti-aircraft work, you'll need effective machinegun/autocannon
emplacements, or missile batteries. Also possible to mount to a hull that's
not too heavy.

Sonar and Radar are commercially available, but target tracking isn't
something the local boat store is going to consider a consumer product. You
could arm a good sized cargo vessel with rotating torpedo launchers on
tripod carriage, with atleast one gun for anti-air purposes, but the cost
might be pretty high, and such armaments would definately get you boarded or
SUNK just about anywhere I can think of.

You'll need "sovereign waters" first and foremost, a place to berth this
hot-rod attack cruiser. What makes a battleship truly effective is it's
resupply. All the impressive firepower in existence isn't going to do a
lick of good if you can't sustain it for the duration. A resupply base is
essential, a port to pull in for refit/repairs, and you begin to see why one
can't just go plating up a shrimp boat.

William R. Watt

Shane D. Maudiss ) writes:
What do I need for a modern battleship ?

Navies buy used military craft all the time.
Canada recently bought some dysfunctional submarines from the UK.
I think what you would have to do is buy through some government or other.

If you want to build a battleship (this is a boatbulding newsgroup) you
can build one out of plywood. years ago a retired guy in Perth Ontario
built a scaled down river class destroyer out of plywood and would motor
up and down the Rideau Canal in the summer. you'd need plywood and grey paint.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
sour (max camirand)

On 27 Nov 2003 21:26:16 -0800, (Shane D.
Maudiss) wrote:

What do I need for a modern battleship ?

Why build one when you can buy it from Rosoboronexport in Russia?
Good Russian quality for you, my friend!

www.rusarm.ru
skip the intro, click on export products, then on Navy

voila!

I'm partial to the MOLNIYA Missile Boat, myself.
rock_doctor

"Shane D. Maudiss" wrote in message
m...
What do I need for a modern battleship ?

4 steam turbines, 4 transmissions, 400 tons of mild plate steel, 200
personalities all who can weld, 70 miles of wire etc... Actually if you are
very rich you probably can get a decommissioned ship from one of the
governments around the world. I always wanted a submarine but I am trying
to watch my cholesterol. :-) You probably can build a nice 50 or 60 ft
replica of a 1910 or 1920's tug or similar. The hull design is very similar
to one of the US destroyers. Have you ever taken a tour of a battleship? I
once had the chance to tour the USS Missouri, was absolutely spectacular.
Also had a chance to go on the USS Bowfin. Brass engines on the Bowfin was
something to see.

mark

Donald Phillips

Shane D. Maudiss wrote:
What do I need for a modern battleship ?

I would recommend that steel be your building material. Most people
here in this group build out of fiberglass, plywood, or composite of
some type, but steel would be my material of choice. It'll build a
little faster than most of the rest and probably a little cheaper, might
save you a few million. You'll also need a good set of plans before you
begin. There are lots of boat plans on the internet and a few designers
hang around on this newsgroup. I don't recall anything that would fit
your needs, so may want to contact a few to see if they can do a special
one off for you. Don't forget to request a bill of materials so you can
give it to a steel yard. Volume builders like you will probably get a
discount.

You need to consider where you will build it. Check to make sure your
area doesn't have any building codes that prohibit battleship building
before you begin. It would not be fun to get half way finished only to
have to move it to another location.

You may want to check your area to make sure you will be able to get it
out when you finish. Some people build only to find out later they are
boxed in. I read about one guy that had to have his boat lifted out by
helicopter. Most battleship builders build fairly close to water. The
size and weight make long distance hauling a problem.

Remember to take your time and enjoy the building process. Building is
a lot of fun, good exercise, and gives most of us a good feeling of
accomplishment. Have fun.

Donald

--
I'm building a Steel Robert's 434. You can sneak a peek if you wish by
clicking on me link below.