Swept away

Default Halon replacement Gas

Are we being fleeced in GB. Manufactures are charging 4 times the price of
Halon gas for replacing all extinguishers with environmental safe gas FM200
by the 1st January because of EEC regulations. We are told that you need
twice as much per volume than Halon. You cannot use your old extinguishers.
They know they have us over a barrel. It is going to cost at least £1000 for
my 34 foot boat replacing myself.

Chris

If it's gas you need, pull my finger then.

;-)

Rick

Swept away wrote:

Are we being fleeced in GB.

Look at price and availability via a Google search and figure it out. If
you just ask some "marine fire protection" outfit to change out your
extinguishers then you probably are getting thoroughly fleeced.

What kind of arrangement do you have on a 34 footer that needs FM200?
Will a fixed CO2 system or more handhelds work just as well for you in
your boat?

If they are charging you a small fortune to "dispose" of the old Halon,
try and find a recycler who may pay you for it instead. It is still OK
to use in certain applications in the UK and most of the rest of the
world. If nothing else just stash it somewhere until it is more
valuable, the rest of the world has another 6 or 7 years to use it and
its value will increase for a while.

Rick

Lew Hodgett

"Swept away" writes:
Are we being fleeced in GB. Manufactures are charging 4 times the price

of
Halon gas for replacing all extinguishers with environmental safe gas

FM200
by the 1st January because of EEC regulations.

snip

No, it is an attempt to eliminate halon and reduce the world ozone problem.

SFWIW, halon is about the only thing you can use on an oil platform located
in the Artic.

10 years ago, sold a lot of fire detection equipment for one of these
installations.

Was told by my customer, an oil company, that if they ever had to use the
halon, the fine would be $500,000 and over $1,000,000 within 5 years.

Just curious.

Why bother with a halon system on a 34 ft boat?

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Jed

Maybe he sails outta sight of land and can't carry enuf boxes of
baking soda ??

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 00:21:59 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"Swept away" writes:
Are we being fleeced in GB. Manufactures are charging 4 times the price

of
Halon gas for replacing all extinguishers with environmental safe gas

FM200
by the 1st January because of EEC regulations.

snip

No, it is an attempt to eliminate halon and reduce the world ozone problem.

SFWIW, halon is about the only thing you can use on an oil platform located
in the Artic.

10 years ago, sold a lot of fire detection equipment for one of these
installations.

Was told by my customer, an oil company, that if they ever had to use the
halon, the fine would be $500,000 and over $1,000,000 within 5 years.

Just curious.

Why bother with a halon system on a 34 ft boat?

Mark

"Lew Hodgett" wrote
Was told by my customer, an oil company, that if they ever had to use the
halon, the fine would be $500,000 and over $1,000,000 within 5 years.

In the US the ban is on manufacture and non emergency release of
Halons. From the EPA regs:

"(6) This prohibition does not apply to the emergency release of
Halons for the legitimate purpose of fire extinguishing, explosion
inertion, or other emergency applications for which the equipment or
systems were designed."

So if you presently possess Halon extinguishing equipment in the US,
its use is not illegal. Turns out only 18% of Halon releases were
from activated equipment, 82% was being released during testing,
maintenance and disposal of equipment.