posted to rec.boats.building
dadiOH

Default bedding deck hardware and portlites?

ready aboot! wrote:
Ahoy, when I removed my portlites and deck hardware there was some
dirty, still mostly pliant type of yellow/white putty under
everything. It was easy to get off and I didn't see signs of leaking
anywhere below. It wasn't adhesive so I guess all that's holding
things together is the fastners. What is this stuff? Should I use it
again or use 5200 or Sikaflex or well, what do you guys use? Thanks
for your time.

Most likely, it is plain old bedding compound, available around any
boatyard. It is a mix of whiting, linseed oil and (usually) a wood
preservative. Its purpose is to fill all empty space between one thing
and another to avoid water penetration.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

posted to rec.boats.building
Jonathan W.

If you want to move up a few generations, and there is no particular
reason to do so, you can use BoatLife Polysulfide, or 4200 for bedding.
5200 is very unforgiving and should be used only for long term bonding,
it is a bear to separate, even 20 years down the line.

Jonathan

dadiOH wrote:
ready aboot! wrote:

Ahoy, when I removed my portlites and deck hardware there was some
dirty, still mostly pliant type of yellow/white putty under
everything. It was easy to get off and I didn't see signs of leaking
anywhere below. It wasn't adhesive so I guess all that's holding
things together is the fastners. What is this stuff? Should I use it
again or use 5200 or Sikaflex or well, what do you guys use? Thanks
for your time.

Most likely, it is plain old bedding compound, available around any
boatyard. It is a mix of whiting, linseed oil and (usually) a wood
preservative. Its purpose is to fill all empty space between one thing
and another to avoid water penetration.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

I am building my daughter an Argie 10 sailing dinghy, check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr
posted to rec.boats.building
Brian D

Or SikaFlex 291 ...same stuff, different company. I've had very good luck
with the SikaFlex lasting for years, not leaking, and being easy to remove
when you need to.

Brian D

. ..

dadiOH wrote:
ready aboot! wrote:

[...]

rhys

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:22:59 -0800, "Brian D"
wrote:

Or SikaFlex 291 ...same stuff, different company. I've had very good luck
with the SikaFlex lasting for years, not leaking, and being easy to remove
when you need to.

I use 291 or 4200, whatever's on sale, as they seem to survive and
perform to the same spec.

5200 is strictly hull-to-deck, below the waterline stuff. While
there's a product to melt it, you should consider it "will outlive me"
material.

A regular maintenance schedule should consider a rebed of deck gear
every 5-10 years, depending on conditions and use, and PARTICULARLY if
we are talking about cored balsa decks, which are rarely done right.

R.