posted to rec.boats.building
dadiOH

Default bedding deck hardware and portlites?

ready aboot! wrote:
Ahoy, when I removed my portlites and deck hardware there was some
dirty, still mostly pliant type of yellow/white putty under
everything. It was easy to get off and I didn't see signs of leaking
anywhere below. It wasn't adhesive so I guess all that's holding
things together is the fastners. What is this stuff? Should I use it
again or use 5200 or Sikaflex or well, what do you guys use? Thanks
for your time.

Most likely, it is plain old bedding compound, available around any
boatyard. It is a mix of whiting, linseed oil and (usually) a wood
preservative. Its purpose is to fill all empty space between one thing
and another to avoid water penetration.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...