Dan Thomas

Default Squirt Horsepower

Has anyone here had experience with the Glen-L Squirt? My son and I
are building one and are getting to the point where we need to find an
outboard. The plans call for 10 HP max, which I believe is a
cover-your-butt recommendation, as the Squirt plans from the 70s
called for 20 HP. If it's going to haul the two of us, totalling 320
lb or so, I don't believe ten horses will get any respect at all.
Any input is welcomed. I did a Google search on the subject
without much success.

Dan
BruceM

Most "modern" 10 HP motors will eat the old 20HP ones.
If I knew what a Glen whatever was I'd comment further but in reality,
whatever it is, it won't be "up & planing" so with the right prop on it, it
will still move. Put a 20 on it & go a quarter of a knot faster & use heaps
more fuel. Not worth it??
BruceM

"Dan Thomas" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone here had experience with the Glen-L Squirt? My son and I
are building one and are getting to the point where we need to find an
outboard. The plans call for 10 HP max, which I believe is a
cover-your-butt recommendation, as the Squirt plans from the 70s
called for 20 HP. If it's going to haul the two of us, totalling 320
lb or so, I don't believe ten horses will get any respect at all.
Any input is welcomed. I did a Google search on the subject
without much success.

Dan

Bray Haven

Bruce saysMost "modern" 10 HP motors will eat the old 20HP ones.

Total nonsense bruce. I'll put my older motors up against ANY "newer" motor of
equal horsepower. They will run circles around them. EG: My stock 25hp (1954)
Johnson runs my Wolverine twin cockpit runabout 36.1(GPS) with 2 people. So
far it's outrun most of the newer 40-50 hp engines on similar boats. Recently
clocked a 6 hp wizard (54) at 21.5 on a 12' alum fishing boat. 3 weeks ago, won
the international AOMC 3HP(1930 Neptune) & 5.4hp('45 zephyr) race at 18 & 22
mph respectively. I could go on, but I think you can see I believe what I say
about the "old" motors. They have more "soul" too ). As for the squirt, I'd
go with more HP. You don't have to use it all if she feels "squirrely". As to
fuel consumption, the last third (throttle) of most outboards is all
carburetion and a 20 @ 2/3 throttle will usually use less than a 10 at full
open.
Greg Sefton

Bob La Londe

Did you check the registry on Glen-L's site?

I saw 18 buidlers of the Squirt Registered. Most listed an e-mail address.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

"Dan Thomas" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone here had experience with the Glen-L Squirt? My son and I
are building one and are getting to the point where we need to find an
outboard. The plans call for 10 HP max, which I believe is a
cover-your-butt recommendation, as the Squirt plans from the 70s
called for 20 HP. If it's going to haul the two of us, totalling 320
lb or so, I don't believe ten horses will get any respect at all.
Any input is welcomed. I did a Google search on the subject
without much success.

Dan

Dan Thomas

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...
Did you check the registry on Glen-L's site?

I saw 18 buidlers of the Squirt Registered. Most listed an e-mail address.

That is the best advice yet. Thanks. I'll do it.

Dan

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az
http://www.YumaBassMan.com
Promote Your Fishing, Boating, or Guide Site for Free
Simply add it to our index page.
No reciprocal link required. (Requested, but not required)

om...