BoatBanter.com

-   -   Squirt Horsepower (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/6287-squirt-horsepower.html)

Dan Thomas November 10th 03 04:10 PM

Squirt Horsepower

Has anyone here had experience with the Glen-L Squirt? My son and I
are building one and are getting to the point where we need to find an
outboard. The plans call for 10 HP max, which I believe is a
cover-your-butt recommendation, as the Squirt plans from the 70s
called for 20 HP. If it's going to haul the two of us, totalling 320
lb or so, I don't believe ten horses will get any respect at all.
Any input is welcomed. I did a Google search on the subject
without much success.

Dan

BruceM November 11th 03 07:35 AM

Squirt Horsepower

Most "modern" 10 HP motors will eat the old 20HP ones.
If I knew what a Glen whatever was I'd comment further but in reality,
whatever it is, it won't be "up & planing" so with the right prop on it, it
will still move. Put a 20 on it & go a quarter of a knot faster & use heaps
more fuel. Not worth it??
BruceM

om...

Bray Haven November 11th 03 12:49 PM

Squirt Horsepower

Bruce saysMost "modern" 10 HP motors will eat the old 20HP ones.

Total nonsense bruce. I'll put my older motors up against ANY "newer" motor of
equal horsepower. They will run circles around them. EG: My stock 25hp (1954)
Johnson runs my Wolverine twin cockpit runabout 36.1(GPS) with 2 people. So
far it's outrun most of the newer 40-50 hp engines on similar boats. Recently
clocked a 6 hp wizard (54) at 21.5 on a 12' alum fishing boat. 3 weeks ago, won
the international AOMC 3HP(1930 Neptune) & 5.4hp('45 zephyr) race at 18 & 22
mph respectively. I could go on, but I think you can see I believe what I say
about the "old" motors. They have more "soul" too :o). As for the squirt, I'd
go with more HP. You don't have to use it all if she feels "squirrely". As to
fuel consumption, the last third (throttle) of most outboards is all
carburetion and a 20 @ 2/3 throttle will usually use less than a 10 at full
open.
Greg Sefton

Bob La Londe November 12th 03 04:05 AM

Squirt Horsepower

Did you check the registry on Glen-L's site?

I saw 18 buidlers of the Squirt Registered. Most listed an e-mail address.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

om...

Backyard Renegade November 12th 03 01:40 PM

Squirt Horsepower

(Dan Thomas) wrote in message . com...
Has anyone here had experience with the Glen-L Squirt? My son and I
are building one and are getting to the point where we need to find an
outboard. The plans call for 10 HP max, which I believe is a
cover-your-butt recommendation, as the Squirt plans from the 70s
called for 20 HP. If it's going to haul the two of us, totalling 320
lb or so, I don't believe ten horses will get any respect at all.
Any input is welcomed. I did a Google search on the subject
without much success.

Dan

Listen to Greg on this one. As far as the ratings changing, that has a
lot to do with the USCG calculations which were probably developed
long after the boat was origionally designed. Glen-L is doing the
right thing if they changed the rating on the plan to react to these
changes. The point however is, if I had the boat, I would run the
larger engine. I have a Bolger boat called Skimmer,

Backyard Renegade November 12th 03 06:14 PM

Squirt Horsepower

(Backyard Renegade) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Sorry, hit the wrong button. Anyway boat called skimmer. When
designed, Phil Bolger rated it for a 15 horse, it would never
calculate out to a boat capable of carrying a 15 now with the new
regulations but it is still real fun with the 8 I run on it. The thing
is 8 feet long and does 20 with the 8hp, a 15 would just be scarey..
Scotty

Dan Thomas November 12th 03 06:30 PM

Squirt Horsepower

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...
Did you check the registry on Glen-L's site?

I saw 18 buidlers of the Squirt Registered. Most listed an e-mail address.

That is the best advice yet. Thanks. I'll do it.

Dan

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az
http://www.YumaBassMan.com
Promote Your Fishing, Boating, or Guide Site for Free
Simply add it to our index page.
No reciprocal link required. (Requested, but not required)

om...