Ron Thornton

Default Bilge Pump Switch

Rosalie,

You misunderstand a lot when it comes to the science you teach and it's
real world applications.

An explosion proof switch is simply a switch that is totally sealed from
the environment it is in. There are many ways to do this and certainly
a mercury switch is one of the most reliable in a low shock application.
Your explanation is simply not correct.

Regards, Ron

Ron Thornton

Brian,

No I do not believe it doesn't agree. Honeywells definition differs in
that it does not infer that the gas internal to the switch is the same
gas that is in the outside environment. Her inference was that the
external gas could migrate into the switch, explode and not ignite the
outside gas. This is like saying that in all instances a gasoline
engine with a flame arrestor will not ignite gas fumes in a boat when in
fact on rare occasions they do. Not a design I would stake my life on.
I remember testing switches that would shoot a flame out when turned off
at elevated temperatures because they would ignite flammable gases that
outgased from the materials inside. I believe your interpretation of
the Honeywell definition is incorrect but it has been a long time since
I have dealt with these things so as always I stand to be corrected.

Regards, Ron

Brian Whatcott

Humphrey Davy invented what may have been the first explosion proof
device, as you may possibly agree. His miner's lamp, which was a wick
lamp, was fitted with a surprizing novelty: two cylinders of copper
gauze cloth. This offered certain advantages over the miner's
traditional canary. It indicated firedamp with its flame color, and
if the mixture became explosive, the flame quenched on the copper
gauze before escaping. The gauze took just too much heat out of the
flame front in that small space.

School kids used to be shown a chemistry lab demo of a bunsen
burner, with a copper gauze held over it. The flame could be ignited
above or below, with the other side unlit.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 19:14:38 -0500 (EST), (Ron
Thornton) wrote:

[...]

4000 GPH Bilge Pump Uprade in Cruis'n Rulz! JR North General 3 July 16th 04 03:28 AM
bilge pump switch Paul Dougherty General 0 May 4th 04 12:02 AM
Bilge Pump Switch Gould 0738 General 31 November 1st 03 10:08 PM
Bilge Pump Switch Ron Thornton Boat Building 5 October 25th 03 11:07 AM
Bilge Pump Switch Ron Thornton Boat Building 0 October 22nd 03 03:10 PM