Steve

Default how do I make a bowsprit?

I'm not a purist and recognize that terminology varies with region and
country, however, I could suggest a couple correction in "Bowsprit
Nomenclature" use here.

1. The rod or wire you describe, going from the end of the bowsprit, down to
the stem of the boat is called a "Bobstay" and if you have a strut in the
middle to improve the load geometry, that is called a "Dolphin Striker". The
fitting or attachment where the Bobstay is attached to the stem is call a
"Stem Band".

2. The wires or chains the goes from the end of the bowsprit to the side of
the hull are called "Whisker Stays".

My intentions are not to be 'anal' but to try to preserve the nautical
terminology when ever I have the opportunity. Just constructive
"clarification".

--
My experience and opinion, FWIW
--

"ahoy" wrote in message
Hello, I'd like to add a 4' bowsprit to an IP23 sailboat. To what
extent does the bowsprit rely on the rigging for it's strength vs it's
actual strength of materials? I was hoping to use a one inch thick
piece of epai 6 feet long, two feet on deck, four feet for the
bowsprit and 2 more 4' long, one inch thick planks butting the bowstem
all laminated/screwed together. About 3 1/2 inches wide with two side
stays and a 5/8" stainless rod for the dolphin catcher and a stay to
the masthead. I'm looking for some advice as to whether this is too
much or too little. Is there a better place to ask this question or
get some information? Thanks for your time.

Denis Marier

Thanks for the right terminology. Can the same terminology be used for a
sternsprit.
I do not no much about bowsprits. I have seeing some made with wood and
other with 2 " pipe.
I often wonder what are the advantages and drawback of having a bowsprit.

"ahoy" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 08:12:42 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

[...]

Nicely put, thank you Steve.

Dave W

A "bowsprit on the stern" is called a boomkin. Usually, they are wishbone
shaped when viewed from the top; two members that meet.

Steve

I have had bowsprits on most of my dozen sailboats over the past 45yrs on
the water. The main advantage is increasing the overall length, with respect
to carrying more sail or more head sail combinations.

I don't like to see it as a advantage for getting the anchor off the bow. I
much prefer to have my anchor roller at the stem head since a roller on the
end of the bowsprit puts too much load on the headstay and much too much
noise when the boat is hobby horsing at anchor.

Here are a couple of pictures of my present arrangement that allows me to
have two bow anchors, on chain, lead to a single anchor windlass.

http://www.hctc.com/~esteve/INGRID%20PICs/dogonbw1.jpg

http://www.hctc.com/~esteve/INGRID%20PICs/dogonbow.jpg

(the dog "Shipmate" is no longer part of the crew)

The bowsprit is made of 2" SS pipe with aluminum deck plating. There are cut
outs for the anchors to come thru. I'm very happy with the whole system.

Note that this type of bowsprit/platform eliminates the need for Whisker
Stays.

The Bob Stay (not pictured) is 5/8" rod. I've run into the dock and a buoy,
at slow speed and it hasn't bent (yet). The stem band is 3/4" X 1 1/4" X 4'
and runs down the stem and is through bolted with a similar backing plate at
each bolt.