Denis Marier

Default how do I make a bowsprit?

Thanks for the right terminology. Can the same terminology be used for a
sternsprit.
I do not no much about bowsprits. I have seeing some made with wood and
other with 2 " pipe.
I often wonder what are the advantages and drawback of having a bowsprit.

"ahoy" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 08:12:42 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

I'm not a purist and recognize that terminology varies with region and
country, however, I could suggest a couple correction in "Bowsprit
Nomenclature" use here.

1. The rod or wire you describe, going from the end of the bowsprit, down

the stem of the boat is called a "Bobstay" and if you have a strut in the
middle to improve the load geometry, that is called a "Dolphin Striker".

The
fitting or attachment where the Bobstay is attached to the stem is call a
"Stem Band".

2. The wires or chains the goes from the end of the bowsprit to the side

of
the hull are called "Whisker Stays".

My intentions are not to be 'anal' but to try to preserve the nautical
terminology when ever I have the opportunity. Just constructive
"clarification".

--
My experience and opinion, FWIW

Nicely put, thank you Steve.