Jonathan W.

Default how do I make a bowsprit?

I can't speak to bowsprits, but in land based construction the general
rule of thumb for cantilevered decks, bay windows, etc. is 2/3 vs 1/3,
i.e. the exact opposite of what you propose. 2/3 of your structural
member is buried in the existing structure, one third of it is outside,
and free to bear weight. In other words, to have a cantilevered 3 ft
deck/landing, no posts to the ground, you need to your 2x8s buried by 6
feet.

Most timber bowsprits I've seen are as tall/deep as they are thick,
round, or a 4x4, 3x3, etc.....

Why do you want to do this, anyway?

ahoy wrote:

Hello, I'd like to add a 4' bowsprit to an IP23 sailboat. To what
extent does the bowsprit rely on the rigging for it's strength vs it's
actual strength of materials? I was hoping to use a one inch thick
piece of epai 6 feet long, two feet on deck, four feet for the
bowsprit and 2 more 4' long, one inch thick planks butting the bowstem
all laminated/screwed together. About 3 1/2 inches wide with two side
stays and a 5/8" stainless rod for the dolphin catcher and a stay to
the masthead. I'm looking for some advice as to whether this is too
much or too little. Is there a better place to ask this question or
get some information? Thanks for your time.

--
I am building my daughter an Argie 10 sailing dinghy, check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr