Default My God, She Likes it.

I was very worried about how to tell my wife I was building the
Tolman Skiff but I had a pic of one on the Alaska Inside Passage as
computer wallpaper. She saw it and asked about it and I told her that
was what I was building. Since the Inside Passage (via cruise ship) is
her dream trip, she got interested and looked over the pics on the
FishyFish site. Now she demands I build the Jumbo instead of the
Standard. I had to tell her, ease of launch is a major factor as well
as ease of towing so I will still go with the 20' Standard. She loves
the Cuddy cabins even though I tell her they are heavy and will take
twice as long to build. I think she is used to the cabin on our 28'
sailboat and isnt making allowance for weight. She is used to camping
(our honeymoon 25 yrs ago we spent 90 days in our tent until she broke
her arm in a rock climbing accident) so a soft sided cuddy cabin will
work for her.
Now, we gotta plan an Inside Passage trip AFTER my sailing trip to
the Bahamas. At leasst she likes it.

I was looking at possibly building the same boat myself. I would use
it for fishing along the Louisiana Gulf Coast. I notice from research
on the internet that most of these boats are built by guys on the West
Coast, and there is little concern about top end performance, since
most of y'all go right out into the ocean, and have to deal with
swells, etc., so you're not going that fast anyway. Down here there's
usually quite a long run in protected waters before actually getting
into the Gulf (mine would be about 17 miles) and the Gulf itself can
often be pretty flat, so I do care about speed. Do you have any clue
what to expect as far as performance is concerned from that boat with
various engine combinations? Have you thought about a cuddy built from
foam cored glass panels?

Ed.

I expect about 25 mph with a 65 hp 2 cycle for the 20' Standard without
too much of a load. Having done a lot of cruising by sailboat at 4-5
kts, 25 mph will seem like warp speed.
I have wondered about a removable cuddy cabin but that is the same as a
canvas cuddy so why not go with the canvas one?

Brian D

Here's data on a Tolman Standard, stretched by a foot and powered with a
90-hp Honda (Multiply the speeds by 1.15 if any of the landlubbers in the
crowd want mph instead of knots):

RPMs GPS Speed (Kts)
800 2.8 idle
1400 4.3
1800 5.2
2200 6.1
2400 7.2
2700 9 transition to plane
3000 13
3100 14
3200 14.1
3400 15
3800 17.4
4000 19.2
4100 19.7
4400 22
4600 23.8
5000 26.1
5200 27.7
5400 28.6
5600 29.6 WOT .....

And here's the data for a 40-horse Tohatsu 2-stroke on an 18' Standard:

RPM......SPEED (MPH)
1000.....3.7
1500.....5.5
2000.....7.2
2500.....8.7
3000.....12.1
3500.....16.8
4000.....19.5
4500.....23.9
5000.....28
5400.....30.1

Note that THESE numbers are in mph ...divide by 1.15 on the speeds to
convert to knots.

Since the numbers are so close in magnitude, it's easy to see that a 21'
Standard goes 15% faster than an 18' Standard when powered by 90-hp rather
than only 40-hp. Big motor didn't help much, did it? I'd guess that your
65 hp would probably produce a top speed of around 28-30 kts, probably 4 or
5 mpg gas mileage, and gets on plane at around 9 kts like all Standards do.

Brian D

ups.com...