Brian D

Default My God, She Likes it.

Here's data on a Tolman Standard, stretched by a foot and powered with a
90-hp Honda (Multiply the speeds by 1.15 if any of the landlubbers in the
crowd want mph instead of knots):

RPMs GPS Speed (Kts)
800 2.8 idle
1400 4.3
1800 5.2
2200 6.1
2400 7.2
2700 9 transition to plane
3000 13
3100 14
3200 14.1
3400 15
3800 17.4
4000 19.2
4100 19.7
4400 22
4600 23.8
5000 26.1
5200 27.7
5400 28.6
5600 29.6 WOT .....

And here's the data for a 40-horse Tohatsu 2-stroke on an 18' Standard:

RPM......SPEED (MPH)
1000.....3.7
1500.....5.5
2000.....7.2
2500.....8.7
3000.....12.1
3500.....16.8
4000.....19.5
4500.....23.9
5000.....28
5400.....30.1

Note that THESE numbers are in mph ...divide by 1.15 on the speeds to
convert to knots.

Since the numbers are so close in magnitude, it's easy to see that a 21'
Standard goes 15% faster than an 18' Standard when powered by 90-hp rather
than only 40-hp. Big motor didn't help much, did it? I'd guess that your
65 hp would probably produce a top speed of around 28-30 kts, probably 4 or
5 mpg gas mileage, and gets on plane at around 9 kts like all Standards do.

Brian D

wrote in message
ups.com...
I expect about 25 mph with a 65 hp 2 cycle for the 20' Standard without
too much of a load. Having done a lot of cruising by sailboat at 4-5
kts, 25 mph will seem like warp speed.
I have wondered about a removable cuddy cabin but that is the same as a
canvas cuddy so why not go with the canvas one?