Jim Woodward

Default Faucets

You actually plate chrome over nickel over bronze. This is the
absolutely standard way of using chrome plate. The problem is, the
base metal doesn't have to be bronze, it can be pot metal (cheap zinc
alloy) which will pit and corrode after a while.

And, BTW, nickel is in many ways more satisfactory than chrome on top.
It's not quite as "bright", but lasts longer.

We tend to have a "has to be marine" attitude. Next time you're at a
boat show, go aboard a Swan (I would say they're the finest of
production boats, but as an ex-owner, I'm predjudiced). Look at the
bath and kitchen fittings, cabinet hardware, doorknobs, and so forth.
You'll find them all at good home stores.

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

"Brian D" wrote in message news:Z6Hfb.38714$%h1.26889@sccrnsc02...
Doesn't anybody make 18-8, 316, or at least chrome plated bronze (I assume
you can chrome plate bronze) faucets and plumbing for the marine world???
Either it's a gross oversight on industry's part or a gross ignorance
problem on my part ....who can really tell?

Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"Ed Edelenbos" wrote in message
Pretty often, if you go to a "real" plumbing supply house, you can find
high quality faucets (i.e. chrome plated brass or straight brass) and
such which will hold up better in a marine environment. Pretty much
same quality but not packaged for "marine use". It depends on what your
cosmetic needs are also... a (reasonable quality metal) utility sink
faucet will hold up pretty good. OTOH, some of the all plastic faucets
made these days (and coated with a fake chrome) will hold up as good as
the good metal ones... except they are not as solid. It takes less of
a bump to break them.

Ed

steveb wrote:
ospam (Stephen Baker) lifted the trapdoor, peered

around
and wrote:

But if you buy the marine units, you shouldn't need to replace them

every
decade or so - there is a reason why some stuff is expensive; it is

built for
its intended use.

Sometimes this is true. Sometimes the higher price reflects the

additional
marketing burden required to shift small quantities of niche products.

And
sometimes it is simply overpriced.

steveb

Dazed and Confuzed

Dave wrote:

For what its worth...

Most of the professional plumbers I know prefer Moen over Delta by a long
shot.

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
T'aint necessarily so. I ordered some premium grade Scanvik faucets and
shower set single knob mixer valves recently. Took one out of the box
and sent them all back. They did not look as well made as the Moen's I
can get at Home Despot for 1/3 less money. The only things I kept was
the shower wands because they have the locking button valve on the head.

Stephen Baker wrote:
Jane says:

I will not buy expensive "marine" faucets - just good quality home
units from Delta, Moen, whatever.

But if you buy the marine units, you shouldn't need to replace them

every
decade or so - there is a reason why some stuff is expensive; it is

built for
its intended use.

Steve-
Stephen C. Baker - Yacht Designer
http://members.aol.com/SailDesign/pr...cbweb/home.htm

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

thats because Delta costs about 10% more.

--

Life lesson #48:

You can continue to puke long after you think you should be done......

Glenn Ashmore

Dazed and Confuzed wrote:
Dave wrote:

For what its worth...

Most of the professional plumbers I know prefer Moen over Delta by
a long shot.

thats because Delta costs about 10% more.

If you have ever disasembled both you would have seen that the Moen is a
much more elegant solution to single knob mixers. About 1/3 the parts
of a Delta and considerably more reliable over the long term.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Dazed and Confuzed

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Dazed and Confuzed wrote:
Dave wrote:

For what its worth...

Most of the professional plumbers I know prefer Moen over Delta by
a long shot.

thats because Delta costs about 10% more.

If you have ever disasembled both you would have seen that the Moen is a
much more elegant solution to single knob mixers. About 1/3 the parts
of a Delta and considerably more reliable over the long term.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

I have both in the motel that I own. Delta beats Moen by at least 2x in
reliability. 35 of each.

for good basic chrome plated brass faucets try Chicago Faucet. Designed for
restaurant use, they are durable and reliable.

--

Life lesson #48:

You can continue to puke long after you think you should be done......

Brian D

Hey Peggie ...just bought your book (finally). Should be a good addition to
my library.

Brian

--

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
Brian D wrote:
Doesn't anybody make 18-8, 316, or at least chrome plated bronze (I

assume
you can chrome plate bronze) faucets and plumbing for the marine

world???
Either it's a gross oversight on industry's part or a gross ignorance
problem on my part ....who can really tell?

When you consider that there are only about 12 million boats in the
whole country, that 95% of them are too small to need any faucets, that
50% of boats are in fresh water where salt water corrosion--and
therefore the need for replacements--isn't an issue...and that 95% of
those owners who do need replacements only want the cheapest thing they
can find...that doesn't leave much of a market for high end "marine
grade" replacement faucets.

We sometimes tend to forget how really minsicule the boat market is when
compared to the market for houses, public buildings, cars etc. The cost
of just reaching owners to let them know you have a high end marine
product can be prohibitive, never mind the extra mfr'g costs.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Bill Kreamer

I have a Moen shower mixer: nasty non-eliminateable gap between the handle
and round trim plate; wandering temperature...
and a Chicago Faucet shower mixer: neat looking; steady temperature, even
with the john flushing

Bill Kreamer

"Dazed and Confuzed" wrote in message
Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Dazed and Confuzed wrote:
Dave wrote:

[...]

Peggie Hall

Brian D wrote:
Hey Peggie ...just bought your book (finally). Should be a good addition to
my library.

Peggie

Thanks, Brian...I hope so!

Btw, I'll be at the Annapolis Sailboat show this week...Fawcett's Boat
Supply carries a bunch of books published by Seaworthy (my publisher)
and has given 'em some "vendor support" space in one of their
booths...and in an outstanding location--in the big A-tent, across the
aisle from Raritan. So if any of y'all are planning to come to the
show, I hope you'll stop by the booth and say hi...I'll be there for the
whole show.

Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Brian D

Annapolis? Where's that? Just kidding...

No, won't be there, but I will be at the 2003 Fish Expo Workboat Northwest
show in Seattle, 11/20-11/22 instead.