Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Evan Gatehouse

Default extending rigging wires

Folks,

First a bit of background. I'm considering buying a 40' cruising catamaran.
It's an "open bridgedeck" design - without a bridgedeck cabin. I want a
bridgedeck cabin so I'd have to build the cabin.

To make the cabin fit I'd have to raise the boom. I have 2 solutions - just
reweld the gooseneck on 2' higher, and trim the bottom of the mainsail.
This looses me sail area which I am loath to do.

The other solution is to raise the mast 2' (which is easy to do 'cause it's
just stepped on a deck beam). But then all the rigging wires become too
short. So I'm looking for ideas to extend rigging wires. So far I have:

- replace most of the wires (7 at least would have to be done, not a cheap
proposition)
- short lengths of rigging wire with swaged fittings at each end -
reasonably cheap but lots more potential failure points
- short lengths of multiple passes of spectra or similar high modulus line -
probably cheapest and lightest, need some custom solid aluminum thimbles to
handle the lines

I'd appreciate any opinions. Thanks,

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

??? about plug wires on Evinrude outboard [email protected] General 7 May 24th 04 04:07 AM
Help with Hullmaster\Hughes 22' sailboat rigging Paul Latimer General 0 May 16th 04 01:03 AM
Rigging knife question Rich General 13 January 31st 04 09:52 PM
Hobie 16 rigging order, tension Gabe Silverman General 1 August 31st 03 07:13 PM
Rigging knife Doug Kanter General 7 August 19th 03 05:40 AM