Maynard G. Krebbs

Default Flybridge removal?

How tough would it be to remove the flybridge on a 30' Fales Carib?
Say this one:
http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/p...71&slim=quick&

Probably a stupid question but I love that boat but hate flybridges
for long-term live-aboard and crusing.

Thanks,
Mark E. Williams
Jim

A low bridge works well.

Seriously, if you want a boat that does not have a flybridge, you should
buy one that does not have one. They are easy to remove, but it leaves
a lot of finish work, plumbing, rewiring and all the rest. And you will
spend a bunch of money, ruin the resale, and for what?

A good alternative is to just not go up there. One day you will try it
out and find out you might like it.

Maynard G. Krebbs wrote:
How tough would it be to remove the flybridge on a 30' Fales Carib?
Say this one:
http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/p...71&slim=quick&

Probably a stupid question but I love that boat but hate flybridges
for long-term live-aboard and crusing.

Thanks,
Mark E. Williams

DSK

Maynard G. Krebbs wrote:

How tough would it be to remove the flybridge on a 30' Fales Carib?
Say this one:
http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/p...71&slim=quick&

Probably a stupid question but I love that boat but hate flybridges
for long-term live-aboard and crusing.

It can be done, in fact there was an article within the past couple
years on removing the flybridge from an older Marine Trader trawler.
This was done by some folks who didn't have much expertise and it came
out OK.

I'm not a fan of flybridges either; we bought a trawler without one. We
specifically looked for a boat with very good sight lines from the helm,
and doors athwart the helm station on both sides (amazing how few
powerboats are designed to let the helmsman do more than just stand
there & steer). This boat looks like it might not have such good sight
lines and there appears no way to get out on deck from the helm.

All that aside, it's a cool boat and might be just what you want, except
for the flybridge. It would improve the boat's weight & stability. A lot
of these boats have a bicycle chain from the flybridge steering down to
the main helm, I kid you not. This would be easy to fix. Hydraulic would
be a bit more challenge but no sweat if you're handy... just more time &
work (drain the system, trace & blank off the correct legs, refill &
bleed). It may even offer a good way to install a hydraulic autopilot
later on. The wiring is likely to be more difficult, especially if the
flybridge is the primary station with switches that have no duplicate
below. But then I'm spoiled, I don't have to work on old boat wiring
much & so can indulge my distaste for it....

Cool boat... but I have to agree overall with the advice- if you want a
boat with no flybridge (and with a stern platform, freezer, davits, etc
etc) the best route is to buy one with those features. You may get
started on your modifications and suddenly find it's impossible, that's
why it wasn't there to start with.

Been there, done that, got the epoxy-stained T-shirt.

Fair Skies
Doug King

Maynard G. Krebbs

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 02:32:11 GMT, Jim wrote:

A low bridge works well.

Seriously, if you want a boat that does not have a flybridge, you should
buy one that does not have one. They are easy to remove, but it leaves
a lot of finish work, plumbing, rewiring and all the rest. And you will
spend a bunch of money, ruin the resale, and for what?

A good alternative is to just not go up there. One day you will try it
out and find out you might like it.

Thanks Jim. Probably the best way to do it is to look for the boat
without a flybridge.
Mark E. Williams

Maynard G. Krebbs

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 09:06:24 -0400, DSK wrote:

[...]

Thanks Doug. I'll keep looking. )
Mark E. Williams
Jim

That boat looks very similar to a Willard. A well made boat, and there's
a lot of them out there. Here's a newer one, with out a flybridge:
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...63&slim=quick&

But, a flybridge is a nice place to be. Consider the added flexibility.
Maynard G. Krebbs wrote:

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 02:32:11 GMT, Jim wrote:

A low bridge works well.

Seriously, if you want a boat that does not have a flybridge, you should
buy one that does not have one. They are easy to remove, but it leaves
a lot of finish work, plumbing, rewiring and all the rest. And you will
spend a bunch of money, ruin the resale, and for what?

A good alternative is to just not go up there. One day you will try it
out and find out you might like it.

Thanks Jim. Probably the best way to do it is to look for the boat
without a flybridge.
Mark E. Williams

Maynard G. Krebbs

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 03:20:27 GMT, Jim wrote:

That boat looks very similar to a Willard. A well made boat, and there's
a lot of them out there. Here's a newer one, with out a flybridge:
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...63&slim=quick&

But, a flybridge is a nice place to be. Consider the added flexibility.

snipage

Whoa! LOL That's quite a bit out of my price range.
Basicly I am leary of the extra windage of a flybridge. Great for
close quarters manuvering though. I've been looking at the 30'
Willards but still favor a sailing vessel.

I have to do it on the cheap and plan to spend a lot of time at sea so
a sailboat is my main focus. (fuel costs being my primary concern)
I watch power boats as well just out of an occasional sense of
pessimism in case my health isn't up to a sailboat when I'm ready to
do this.
I'm taking care of my Dad now so timing is up in the air. )

Mark E. Williams
PS...The Fales Carib has a sliding door on the port side.
Jonathan W.

Maynard G. Krebbs wrote:
[...]

You're not thinking the 30' Fales Carib is a sailing vessel are you? As
in " I have to do it on the cheap and plan to spend a lot of time at sea so
a sailboat is my main focus. (fuel costs being my primary concern)

A trawler with a steadying sail doth not a "sailboat" make....unless
your destination was downwind, and good fresh gale was blowing, I don't
think that boat could "sail" anywhere....

good luck in any event.....

Jonathan
--
I am building my daughter an Argie 10 sailing dinghy, check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr