JAXAshby

Default compass 0il

check with your compass manufacturer, but _usually_ it is mineral spirits.

Hi
what oil do i put in my bulkhead mounted compass.

redrat

Steve

Agree. You should verify what the OEM put in because if you mix the wrong
stuff, you may get a cloudy mix or the wrong stuff could effect the painted
on markings of the card.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Hi
what oil do i put in my bulkhead mounted compass.

redrat
Tuuk

There is a group that does work for the St. Lawrence Seaway for items like
this. There is a guy out of Richmond Hill who did mine, a Danforth Corsair
and did a new dome and light and fluid. Real nice job. I will try to find
his number it was years ago but I located him by calling that Seaway outfit
and they gave me his number.
It is some kind of proper compass oil

"Steve" wrote in message
Agree. You should verify what the OEM put in because if you mix the wrong
stuff, you may get a cloudy mix or the wrong stuff could effect the

painted
on markings of the card.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Jim Woodward

There was a time when it was ethyl alcohol. (Hic...)

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

Brian Whatcott wrote in message . ..
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 22:33:19 GMT, wrote:

Hi
what oil do i put in my bulkhead mounted compass.

redrat

Kerosene, or better, clarified lamp oil.

Brian W

Bill K

I restored several HAND (brandname) ship compass's several years ago and a
instrument repair co. in jenson bch. FL. told me that mineral sprits or jet
fuel (kero) will work fine but you must-MUST-evacuate all the dissolved
gases in the fluid.
I did this with a sergeant Welch vac pump but any two stage vac pump will
work fine, just as long as it gets down to 28" of mercury or so.
all the ones I did are still fine today.
bill k (one of the many lurkers)

Jim Conlin

The liquids vary.
Contact Robert White Instruments in Boston.
They service compasses (all mfrs.) very well.

wrote:

Hi
what oil do i put in my bulkhead mounted compass.

redrat

Jim Conlin

That's http://www.robertwhite.com/