Ken Kennedy

Default Dehumidifier Compressor for Vacuum Bagging

I have an old dehumidifier that makes all the right noises, but does not
cause either of the outgoing or ingoing tubes to get hot or cold.
Perhaps the compressor is shot, or perhaps the (presumably) freon has
escaped.

If the latter case, I am contemplating cutting the tubes between the
compressor and the radiator coils, then having the compressor available
for the day I finally try a vacuum bagging.

Is there a simple, environmentally responsible way to determine if the
compressor is shot, or if the freon has escaped?
kk
Glenn Ashmore

You can take it to an HVAC shop and have it drained of refrigerant for a
few bucks or possibly the white goods recycling shed at your city dump
and have it done for free but more important, those hermetically sealed
compressors rely on oil circulated with the refrigerant for lubrication.
I have not had much luck with them. It may work for a few hours as a
vacuum pump for a few hours but in my experience it will freze up fairly
quickly. Definitely not long enough for more than one or two bags of
slower set laminating resin.

I did get my third one to last a bit longer by spraying some WD40 into
the intake every couple of hours but it eventually froze up

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Rick

Ken Kennedy wrote:

Is there a simple, environmentally responsible way to determine if the
compressor is shot, or if the freon has escaped?

Simple and environmentally responsible are mutually exclusive for the
do-it-yourselfer who lacks refrigeration tools and training.

If the unit uses a small hermetic compressor odds are the compressor is
worn out but the refrigerant remains.

Rick

Paolo Zini

those hermetically sealed
compressors rely on oil circulated with the refrigerant for lubrication.
I have not had much luck with them. It may work for a few hours as a
vacuum pump for a few hours but in my experience it will freze up fairly
quickly.

I have made some experiences with recicling sealed compressors in the past.
Used as vacuum pump the compressore get hot in short time, you must cool it,
use a fan...
Before the use let it to "drink" a glass of oil and put a small tank in at
the exaust to recover the oil (else it will flood your shop...)
If you cool it and mantain the oil level it will last for reasonably long
time...
only my two cents...

Paolo

Dennis Couch

To test the motor, you will need a Multimeter. There are 3 terminals on the
outside of the motor.
1. check to see that none ohm out 0 to ground.
2. measure the resistance brom each terminal to the next. You will end
up with 3 different readings of which the two smaller should add-up
close to the value of the 3rd, if the motor is good.

If the motor runs, touch your hand to the tubing both leaving & entering the
compressor, one should get pretty gosh-dern warm (200 degrees +), the other
should be cool. Little difference means that the coolant may have leaked
away.

Dennis(Gauges are handy to have around)

"Ken Kennedy" wrote in message
I have an old dehumidifier that makes all the right noises, but does not
cause either of the outgoing or ingoing tubes to get hot or cold.
Perhaps the compressor is shot, or perhaps the (presumably) freon has
escaped.

If the latter case, I am contemplating cutting the tubes between the
compressor and the radiator coils, then having the compressor available
for the day I finally try a vacuum bagging.

Is there a simple, environmentally responsible way to determine if the
compressor is shot, or if the freon has escaped?
kk

Ken Kennedy

Many thanx to all who offered advice. Given that, "dehumidifier makes
all the right noises", and that the Recycle guy agreed with the posting
that, "loss of freon is much less likely than compressor failure", I
gave up on this idea, and paid to have unit decommissioned.
kk

Dennis Couch wrote:

[...]

MIDEMETZ

Try,

The Cheap Little Sucker ( VACUME PUMP )

http://www.berkut13.com/sucker.htm

Mike
Brian Whatcott

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:59:40 -0400, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

/// those hermetically sealed
compressors rely on oil circulated with the refrigerant for lubrication.
I have not had much luck with them. It may work for a few hours as a
vacuum pump for a few hours but in my experience it will freze up fairly
quickly. Definitely not long enough for more than one or two bags of
slower set laminating resin.

I did get my third one to last a bit longer by spraying some WD40 into
the intake every couple of hours but it eventually froze up

What he said, with knobs on....

Brian W
jcassara

Default Harbour Freight Vacume Pump for Vacuum Bagging

Any one ever use one of these vacuum pumps to vacuum bag?

Harbor freight sells a cheap vacuum pump for less than 10

bucks. A lot less
trouble than going with the idea you are entertaining.

http://order.harborfreight.com:9100/...rborfreight/re
sults.jsp
Hope this helps.

Dennis(I get paid for this stuff)

Al Gunther

"jcassara" wrote:

Any one ever use one of these vacuum pumps to vacuum bag?

Harbor freight sells a cheap vacuum pump for less than 10

bucks. A lot less
trouble than going with the idea you are entertaining.

http://order.harborfreight.com:9100/...ht/results.jsp

This is a venturi pump that hooks to an air compressor. My experience
with the one WEST sells was that it lacked the volume capacity for
anything useful. Possibly I didn't have the right technique to seal
my edges properly but my compressor was running continuously and I
could not keep up with anything the size I was interested in.

Al Gunther, Kingston, WA ---- 47° 48.1'N, 122° 30.0'W
http://agunther.home.donobi.net