Glenn Ashmore

Default Plumbing the Watermaker output?

I have another troublesome detail to deal with. I have this tube that,
if everything works the way I planned, will be spewing out half a gallon
of fresh water a minute. Now how do I get it into the tanks?

I am thinking about plumbing it into the fresh water system between the
tank selection manifold and the fresh water pump. That way which ever
tank is active gets filled. By changing tanks I can fill them all from
one connection. On the face of it it looks like the ideal solution but
I am looking for any drawbacks.

Anyone want to shoot some holes in my plumbing? :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore

Jim Conlin wrote:
Could an argument be made for FIFO, using your old water first?

Now that is a concern. I designed the engine driven watermaker around
the idea of producing 40 gallons while delivering 48 hours worth of
charge to the battery banks. (Theoretically that is.) I will have to
remember to switch tanks right after the watermaker finishes.

What happens if you switch your selector to draw from a full tank?

That's easy. The tanks vent into the cockpit. When my feet get wet I
know it is time to turn off the watermaker. :-)

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

I have another troublesome detail to deal with. I have this tube that,
if everything works the way I planned, will be spewing out half a gallon
of fresh water a minute. Now how do I get it into the tanks?

I am thinking about plumbing it into the fresh water system between the
tank selection manifold and the fresh water pump. That way which ever
tank is active gets filled. By changing tanks I can fill them all from
one connection. On the face of it it looks like the ideal solution but
I am looking for any drawbacks.

Anyone want to shoot some holes in my plumbing? :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Rick

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Anyone want to shoot some holes in my plumbing? :-)

No, don't want to do that but it is generally considered bad practice to
fill the tank in service. You stand the chance of contaminating the
entire system if there is a problem with product water.

Rick

Steve

Your assuming that your salinity divertor is 'fool proof'??

You may be correct because, while using the product water as it is being
delivered, you would stand a better chance of noticing your coffee is a bit
salty.

My set up will deliver the product water to the tank fill manifold..

I may rethink this since I could fill a tank with bad water and never know
it.

I was onboard a friends boat and he had the product water line coming to his
galley sinks where it ran down the drain until he took a final "taste"
sample.. If it was good, he turned a 3 way valve that sent it to the tanks.

My HRO system has a remote control/indicator panel with both audible and
visual alarms to indicate any fault in the system or product water.. I
haven't installed it yet, seems to complicate the system too much.

I kinda like my friends simple method. KISS..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Glenn Ashmore

You know me better than that! To me KISS is something that gives you
Mono or Hepatitis. :-)

This system is a result of 30 years in the software business learning
never to completely trust a computer. :-) It is as automated as I can
make it with push button operation and auto backflush but with mandatory
human intervention at critical points and manual overrides everywhere.

I added a Hanna electronic TDS sensor wired to a 3-way solenoid. When
the TDS drops to acceptable levels the product diverts to a second
solenoid and that outputs to the manual sampling tap that I think I
will mound near the helm. If it taste OK I push a button to send it to
the tanks.

Steve wrote:
[...]

Fred Williams

Don't really know how your waatermaker works but what happens if the output
goes "sour" after you have sampled and redirected it? I would guess the
"automated" monitor you mentioned is most likely "real time" and should
catch a failure at any time during a watermaker run.

Fred

Steve wrote:
[...]

Glenn Ashmore

As a watermaker membrane ages and fouls it produces less fresh water but
the salts don't increase. The TDS sensor would divert the product water
if it did get over 200 ppm or so but that is not likely to happen. The
main reason for testing and discarding the first water out is that it
will be salty.

Remember that the process is "REVERSE" osmosis. The high pressure
reverses the natural tendency for salty water to migrate through a
membrane to less salty water. With no pressure the natural process
resumes and salt passes through and accumulates on the fresh water side.

Fred Williams wrote:
Don't really know how your waatermaker works but what happens if the output
goes "sour" after you have sampled and redirected it? I would guess the
"automated" monitor you mentioned is most likely "real time" and should
catch a failure at any time during a watermaker run.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Skip Gundlach

Leaving the below in for context, are you going to put your configuration on
your website? I'm sure others might like to attempt your achievements at
bargain hunting and efficacy...

L8R

Skip

Fred Williams wrote:
Don't really know how your waatermaker works but what happens if the

output
goes "sour" after you have sampled and redirected it? I would guess the
"automated" monitor you mentioned is most likely "real time" and should
catch a failure at any time during a watermaker run.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore

Yes. The pressure vessels just arrived and I will have the installation
complete enough to finish the picture series for the web oage. I have
converted the schematics and printed circuits to GIFs and have been
working on the narative.

Hopefully I can get some stuff up on the server next week and reduce the
volume of emails from impatient site visitors. :-)