Backyard Renegade

Default Honduras mahogany BS1088 ply?

"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message . ..
Mon cher ami, je suis capable de faire la difference entre un nom de ville
et un nom de compagnie.
I use Joubert plywood since 35 years and never knew about a town or area
named Joubert . . do you?

Never been there, but I have bought other brand plywood clearly
stamped, "made in Joubert France...
Scotty

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
m...
"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message

The Meranti BS1088 sold here is made by Joubert and looks very much like
your description:
http://plywood.e-boat.net/index.php

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

Yes, but you must watch out cause there are more than one manufacturer
in Joubert France, but only one company called Joubert. The sticker on
the wood is yellow and blue and says Joubert. This wood, generally
sold as ocoume has the reddish wood for outside panels, many of the
others don't. I am a happy camper today as I stumbled onto another
supplier for the Joubert ocoume. There is a difference, a big
difference.
Scotty

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
I need a few sheets of a good quality (BS1088 or 6566) 1/4" plywood

with
the
appearance of Honduras mahogany.
I've inquired of the usual suspects and not found it.

Suggestions?

Jim

Backyard Renegade

"Brian D" wrote in message news:FSOcb.583041$o%2.266431@sccrnsc02...
Unclear ...which is better? If it's an outfit not mentioned here yet, how
about if you share the info with us?

Thx,
Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

I have some Wisa brand here that is only a few months old and the
outer skin is forming a check or two, I am saving it to bring back to
the distributor. I have never seen that with the Joubert brand ply.
Wisa, and another calling itself Eurocume seem to have all five skins
made of the lighter colored wood (6mm) but the Joubert has a darker
skin, one that blends in with the mahogany trim I use. The other
finishes lighter in color, the Joubert gets a nice rich mahogany tone
when finished.. I also notice the Joubert is a little lighter sheet
for sheet than the other three brands I have tried...
Scotty

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
I need a few sheets of a good quality (BS1088 or 6566) 1/4" plywood

with
the
appearance of Honduras mahogany.
I've inquired of the usual suspects and not found it.

Suggestions?

Jim

Glenn Ashmore

Backyard Renegade wrote:
"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message . ..

Mon cher ami, je suis capable de faire la difference entre un nom de ville
et un nom de compagnie.
I use Joubert plywood since 35 years and never knew about a town or area
named Joubert . . do you?

Never been there, but I have bought other brand plywood clearly
stamped, "made in Joubert France...
Scotty

No Joubert France that I can find. The Joubert Group is named for its
founder Andre Joubert and makes okoume plywood In Rouillac France. See
http://www.joubert-group.com/uk/1.htm

Okoume ranges in color from creamy while to medium beige. The sheets
with the redish face veneers that finish out looking a lot like mahogany
are probably Joubert sapelli faced okoume.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Jim Woodward

Casting no aspersions on Jacques, who has an interesting web site, I
suggest you try Boulter Plywood, www.boulterplywood.com, Somerville
MA. Fred Boulter is a life-long sailor, former Commodore of the
Boston Yacht Club (one of the three major racing clubs in Marblehead)
and good guy.

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

Jim Conlin wrote in message ...
I need a few sheets of a good quality (BS1088 or 6566) 1/4" plywood with the
appearance of Honduras mahogany.
I've inquired of the usual suspects and not found it.

Suggestions?

Jim

Backyard Renegade

Glenn Ashmore wrote in message ...
Backyard Renegade wrote:
"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message . ..

Mon cher ami, je suis capable de faire la difference entre un nom de ville
et un nom de compagnie.
I use Joubert plywood since 35 years and never knew about a town or area
named Joubert . . do you?

Never been there, but I have bought other brand plywood clearly
stamped, "made in Joubert France...
Scotty

No Joubert France that I can find. The Joubert Group is named for its
founder Andre Joubert and makes okoume plywood In Rouillac France. See
http://www.joubert-group.com/uk/1.htm

Okoume ranges in color from creamy while to medium beige. The sheets
with the redish face veneers that finish out looking a lot like mahogany
are probably Joubert sapelli faced okoume.

OK, I will accept that, and you may be right about the Sapelli, but
either way, the Joubert is the only one I have found in the basic
price range of Okoume that has that color, consistantly.
Looking to see if I have a photo of the mark on the "eurocoume" I had
last year...
Scotty