Jim Conlin

Default Honduras mahogany BS1088 ply?

I need a few sheets of a good quality (BS1088 or 6566) 1/4" plywood with the
appearance of Honduras mahogany.
I've inquired of the usual suspects and not found it.

Suggestions?

Jim

Backyard Renegade

Jim Conlin wrote in message ...
I need a few sheets of a good quality (BS1088 or 6566) 1/4" plywood with the
appearance of Honduras mahogany.
I've inquired of the usual suspects and not found it.

Suggestions?

Jim

Try: Woodfinder.net
Disclaimer... blah blah blah... they are a client... blah blah blah...
Scotty from SmallBoats.com
Backyard Renegade

Jim Conlin wrote in message ...
I need a few sheets of a good quality (BS1088 or 6566) 1/4" plywood with the
appearance of Honduras mahogany.
I've inquired of the usual suspects and not found it.

Suggestions?

Jim

The only bs1088 I found with the outer appearance and color of
mahogany was a brand called "Joubert". There were other inferior
brands that were also made in Joubert France, but alas, my
distributors will buy none of it from France (and for good reason in
my opinion) so I am forced lately to use another brand from Morocco,
which really sucks in my opinion and I have built over 50 S+T boats...
I know my thin plywood...
Scotty from SmallBoats.com
Brian D

Jim,

If you are trying to match a particular type of wood exactly, you probably
will not have a lot of luck. You may get close in 'style of grain', but
probably not in color. It's hard to do that even if you buy your wood all
at once. Batches vary. I don't know what you know or what you've found out
yet, so forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse here.

So, with that said, if you are looking for a mahogany-looking BS1088, then
the choices I know of are Sapele (beautiful classic mahogany grain), Khaya
(similar grain to Sapele, but a lot lighter and less contrast), Okoume (more
plain grain), and Meranti (more reddish, plainer grain ...sometimes the
grain is completely consistent.) Sometimes Okoume and Khaya are sold under
the same name ...usually 'Okoume'. As far as Honduras mahogany goes, it can
actually be one of several different woods but which look similar and have
similar properties. I don't know of any source that'll guarantee that a
particular type of wood *is absolutely* what they happen to call it, with
the exception of Sapele that is. Sapele, Khaya, and Okoume are true
mahoganies I believe. And I'm pretty sure that Meranti, Honduras, and
Philippine 'mahoganies' are not. Same goes for Lauan, but they are all
'like mahogany' in many respects (differing in rot resistance, density,
color, grain).

Brian

PS: If you can find your way to my web site (below), and then to the
pictures of the boat I'm building and have built, then note that the
McKenzie River drift boat is made of Sapele and the Tolman that's in
construction has a hull built in Meranti. Haven't decided on which wood to
use for the superstructure yet.

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...
Jim Conlin wrote in message

I need a few sheets of a good quality (BS1088 or 6566) 1/4" plywood with

the
appearance of Honduras mahogany.
I've inquired of the usual suspects and not found it.

Suggestions?

Jim

The only bs1088 I found with the outer appearance and color of
mahogany was a brand called "Joubert". There were other inferior
brands that were also made in Joubert France, but alas, my
distributors will buy none of it from France (and for good reason in
my opinion) so I am forced lately to use another brand from Morocco,
which really sucks in my opinion and I have built over 50 S+T boats...
I know my thin plywood...
Scotty from SmallBoats.com

Jacques Mertens

The Meranti BS1088 sold here is made by Joubert and looks very much like
your description:
http://plywood.e-boat.net/index.php

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
I need a few sheets of a good quality (BS1088 or 6566) 1/4" plywood with

the
appearance of Honduras mahogany.
I've inquired of the usual suspects and not found it.

Suggestions?

Jim

Backyard Renegade

"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message ...
The Meranti BS1088 sold here is made by Joubert and looks very much like
your description:
http://plywood.e-boat.net/index.php

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

Yes, but you must watch out cause there are more than one manufacturer
in Joubert France, but only one company called Joubert. The sticker on
the wood is yellow and blue and says Joubert. This wood, generally
sold as ocoume has the reddish wood for outside panels, many of the
others don't. I am a happy camper today as I stumbled onto another
supplier for the Joubert ocoume. There is a difference, a big
difference.
Scotty

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
I need a few sheets of a good quality (BS1088 or 6566) 1/4" plywood with

the
appearance of Honduras mahogany.
I've inquired of the usual suspects and not found it.

Suggestions?

Jim

Jacques Mertens

Mon cher ami, je suis capable de faire la difference entre un nom de ville
et un nom de compagnie.
I use Joubert plywood since 35 years and never knew about a town or area
named Joubert . . do you?

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
I need a few sheets of a good quality (BS1088 or 6566) 1/4" plywood

with
the
appearance of Honduras mahogany.
I've inquired of the usual suspects and not found it.

Suggestions?

Jim

Jacques Mertens

We run 9 web sites but are growing fast.
See this one for a detailed description of Eurolite plywood:
http://plywood.e-boat.net/index.php

It is European poplar with marine glue (melamine).
The spanish manufacturer rates it as marine but it is made for boat
interiors. We are experimenting with it's use for small boat hulls.

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com