Courtney Thomas

Default info needed on refurbishing aluminum housings, casings, covers andstructural members too.....

There are many aluminum components on my fiberglass sailboat such as
windvane components, electrical housings, mounting brackets, etc.; some
of which are of substantial thickness and size.

I'd like to improve their appearance and durability in a marine environment.

What works and looks good too ?

Thank you.
--
Courtney Thomas
s/v Mutiny

OMOO

anodizing, powder coating, chromate primer, 2 part epoxy primer and
paint ... sounds like they're already corroded or oxidized - will need
lots of work and $$$ - pretty for a while is inexpensive - durability
costs $$$

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:33:58 -0500, Courtney Thomas
wrote:

There are many aluminum components on my fiberglass sailboat such as
windvane components, electrical housings, mounting brackets, etc.; some
of which are of substantial thickness and size.

I'd like to improve their appearance and durability in a marine environment.

What works and looks good too ?

Thank you.

Steve Lusardi

I suggest powdercoat is the best way, but powdercoat and paint do not like
sharp edges. All edges must be radiused. Any break in the surface treatment
will allow water to corrode the aluminum and the corrosion will lift the
coating. Pay close attention to holes for fasteners. They must be bedded
with a sealant. If you cannot do this, use stainless or bronze.
Steve

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
There are many aluminum components on my fiberglass sailboat such as
windvane components, electrical housings, mounting brackets, etc.; some
of which are of substantial thickness and size.

I'd like to improve their appearance and durability in a marine

environment.

What works and looks good too ?

Thank you.
--
Courtney Thomas
s/v Mutiny
lying Oriental, NC

Jim Woodward

Perhaps I misunderstand you, Steve, but my experience suggests that
bronze is not good for fastening aluminum. I stick to stainless, or
possibly aluminum rivets, for mounting aluminum fittings. It looks
better, too.

Jim Woodward
www.mvfintry.com

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message ...
[...]

paddydix

Jim you are correct , dis-similar metal corrosion would indeed take place ,
and aluminum corrodes very quickly in those instances , especially when it's
already fighting salt water corrosion .
om...