Dave Skolnick

Default Shower pan details

Strange how you can work through all sorts of challenges in building a
boat and then get stumped by a simple problem. I am working on the aft
head sole. I built a nice teak grate, carefully fitted it to the shower
drain opening and epoxied support battens underneath. The original idea
was to fabricate an FRP pan with flanges to hang from the battens below
the grate but soapy water could run under the flange and into the bilge.
The next idea was to epoxy the pan under the battens but that would
eliminate access to the bilge below the head and there is no space for a
separate access hatch.

I suggest that the edge of the pan extend up alongside the grate and be
screwed and bedded against the sole planking.
It might have ledges within it on which the grate would rest. It'd be more
complex, but stronger, to make the sub-sole opening smaller to provide
support for the pan and the grate.

Could you put a lip on the pan that overlaps the sole, inset the grate,
and finish the lip with a small (1/2") rounded cofferdam? Make sure the
shower curtain hangs inside(ish) the cofferdam and you should have most
of the problem licked.

The issue seems to be driven by maintaining bilge access. It would be
easy to solve without that constraint. In most production boats that I
have seen, the entire head sole is the "pan" even where there is a
grating inset. Could you use that approach and install a 6" or 8" access
plate in the pan under the grate to get the necessary access?

The newer IPs have a grating at the bottom of the companionway with a
removable drain pan below for access to the (lighted!) bilge. If I
remember, I'll take a picture at the Annapolis boat show and e-mail it
to you.

dave

Glenn Ashmore

Dave Skolnick wrote:

Could you put a lip on the pan that overlaps the sole, inset the grate,
and finish the lip with a small (1/2") rounded cofferdam? Make sure the
shower curtain hangs inside(ish) the cofferdam and you should have most
of the problem licked.

The issue seems to be driven by maintaining bilge access. It would be
easy to solve without that constraint. In most production boats that I
have seen, the entire head sole is the "pan" even where there is a
grating inset. Could you use that approach and install a 6" or 8" access
plate in the pan under the grate to get the necessary access?

The newer IPs have a grating at the bottom of the companionway with a
removable drain pan below for access to the (lighted!) bilge. If I
remember, I'll take a picture at the Annapolis boat show and e-mail it
to you.

I built a companion way drain with a pan that rests on the grate support
battens like IP and was planning to use the same method in the shower
but sea and rain water in the bilge is one thing and soapy shower water
is another.

There is nothing under the head but some hoses and a couple of hose
clamps but I know from experience that where there is a hose there is
potential maintenance. The sole can't be removable so I may just epoxy
in the shower pan and add a big access plate so I can get to the hose
clamps.

When are you going to Annapolis? I will be up Thursday and Friday. It
would be great to get a bunch of R.B.B. and R.B.C. folks together one
night to see what we all look like. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Dave Skolnick

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
When are you going to Annapolis? I will be up Thursday and Friday. It
would be great to get a bunch of R.B.B. and R.B.C. folks together one
night to see what we all look like. :-)

I was planning on going Sunday, but I'm not very far away (Fairfax, VA),
and rather flexible. A gathering would be fun.

dave

Evan Gatehouse

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
Strange how you can work through all sorts of challenges in building a
boat and then get stumped by a simple problem. I am working on the aft
head sole. I built a nice teak grate, carefully fitted it to the shower
drain opening and epoxied support battens underneath. The original idea
was to fabricate an FRP pan with flanges to hang from the battens below
the grate but soapy water could run under the flange and into the bilge.
The next idea was to epoxy the pan under the battens but that would
eliminate access to the bilge below the head and there is no space for a
separate access hatch.

How do you mount a shower pan so that it will not leak and can still be
removed easily?

I'm picturing an opening in the sole or some sort of cleat you can hang the
pan from. The pan has overlapping flange. A loose teak grating fits in the
pan. Fit the pan to the cleats with silicone sealant - it's easy to remove
but won't come off unless it's intended.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

Evan Gatehouse

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message

When are you going to Annapolis? I will be up Thursday and Friday. It
would be great to get a bunch of R.B.B. and R.B.C. folks together one
night to see what we all look like. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

Heard about that little weather disturbance heading that way sometimes
Thursday / Friday?

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

Fred Williams

Them baby IBM's don't do no steeeken UNIX :-)

"Dave Skolnick" wrote in message
Glenn Ashmore wrote:
What has me worried is that I have two big resort management computers
out on the Banks. I have been on the phone all day making sure we have
good backups.

[root #] shutdown -h now

grin

dave

Dave Skolnick

Fred Williams wrote:
Them baby IBM's don't do no steeeken UNIX :-)

Ah, but the do grasshopper! From
http://www-132.ibm.com/content/home/...810/index.html

"Multi-platform operating environment supports OS/400, Linux, WebSphere,
Microsoft Windows and other e-business application environments."

Other IBM boxen have similar breadth, and IBM has been a significant
proponent of Linux for the last several years.

But now we are seriously OT and it's partly my fault. Sorry. So how's
that shower pan coming Glenn?

dave