Ed Edelenbos

Default Thoughts wanted...

I have successfully build a few small boats. All so far have been (I'm
not sure of the correct term) nail/screw and glue ply on frame (tortured
plywood?). I have 2 boats on the drawing board... the first is a tiny
pontoon boat (pontoons 8', deck 6'x4') as a precursor to a larger boat
with similar construction. (I want to build a small cheap one before I
commit the time and $$$ into something that "might" work.)

The next boat is similar to (if not a copy of);

http://bill_sandifer.tripod.com/mini...oater/id6.html

just because it is so damned goofy looking. What can I say, there is a
certain charm to it and I have the perfect place for it. This also
seems like a candidate for frame construction but I am thinking of doing
stitch and glue just to try it. What thinks y'all? A waste of effort
on such a simple boat? Or would this be a good exercise for learning s&g?

Ed

Techie

Hmmm after seeing your amusing website (milli-Helen LOL) I would re-
abbreviate s&g from stitch & glue to "snicker and giggles".

Keep up the good work, as no work is worth it without some fun, and you
sure seem to have fun.
Ed Edelenbos

No, it isn't mine... It was a site I found. It's just one of those
boats that would garner looks. Some in disgust, some not. One of the
boats I've made was a Herb McCleod One Sheet Skiff. I push it around
with a 2.7hp outboard. Believe it or not, I've had several requests to
build them... for people's kids and for grown ups! I always offer to
print out the plans.

The "Crawdad" is just a weird looking little boat. Wasn't there a
thread about that a couple months ago? It has (like I said) a certain
charm to it. I have a cabin on a stretch of the Susquehanna River in
Maryland. There is a "lake" (a stretch between two dams) which is 1 mi.
wide and 7 mi. long where I have all but unlimited access to calm
(except for the odd ski boat) water. I also have lots of space to store
"experiments". I'm figuring somewhere along the line, I'll end up with
a really nice planter to leave in the front of the cabin.

Ed

Techie wrote:
Hmmm after seeing your amusing website (milli-Helen LOL) I would re-
abbreviate s&g from stitch & glue to "snicker and giggles".

Keep up the good work, as no work is worth it without some fun, and you
sure seem to have fun.

I think your link doesnt work for starters,can't give you advice
without seeing the beast.
Brian K

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:09:53 -0400, Ed Edelenbos
wrote:

[...]

Ed Edelenbos

WishIWasSailingInstead wrote:

Personally, I'm impressed by the fact that someone Loves the water so
much to be seen in this wonderful little boat. I hope they continue to
have great fun with it!

That's kind of where "my head is" as far as this boat goes. It is so
goofy that I almost can't resist.

I'm of the belief that many of us want more than we can afford, and
have too much pride to allow us to enjoy a contraption we can afford.
I'm significantly impressed by the webpage that I'm gonna start
designing a simple boat now....

Hasta!

As far as affording... what is it? $100 if traditional frame
construction and $150 (+/-) if s&g? Hell, either way it is about what a
1 day party costs to throw. It's about 2/3 what the same party would be
on a boat (taking into account the $$$ for gas.) I figure one trip on a
boat like this and it has earned it's keep. (grin)

Ed