malcolm

Default FYI for those working with fiberglass

Mask????? 17 year old working for a cheapskate company

"Scott Downey" wrote in message
How about the stuff going into your lungs?
Did you wear a dust mask?
I have found it preferable to wear long sleeves and gloves when grinding
fiberglass.

"Phil" wrote in message
. net...
After a day of working and grinding the deck of a project boat the one

thing
I didn't think of was,,,,,,,,fiberglass getting all over me.
Well ,,,we learn from our mistakes right!
Some people say to take a pair of panty hose and rub it off,,,,,,doesn't
work,,LOL
I did learn that if you cover yourself with hair conditioner when you

show
and then wash with soap most will be removed.
After the shower take a roll medical gauze and clean yourself it will

remove
the rest of the glass.
Just thought this would be of use to some of the folks that helped me

with
my project boat.

Phil Smith
Jax.Fl

Lew Hodgett

"malcolm" writes:

Mask????? 17 year old working for a cheapskate company

Around her, $14 get a box of 20 on your door step.

A lot less expensive than a lawsuit.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

megabite

The Face mask or Particle dust mask is a MUST when working with fiberglass.
Inhaled into the lungs in minute particles the lungs and body have no way of
effectively dealing with the un-natural invader. Serious problems later!!!!
"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...
"Phil" wrote in message

I wear a face mask now,,,didn't at first,,,,thanks for the tip.
Phil
Jax.Fl

I wear a hat and funny glasses... sometimes even a fake mustache!

Phil

Got rid of the mask,,now wear a respirator,,
However the idea of the glasses and mustache did seem like a good idea!

Phil
Jax,Fl

Lew Hodgett

"David Bosworth" writes:

Try coating your exposed skin with baby powder before you play with the
glass. That is an old insulation installers trick,, or that's where I

found
out about it, works for me.........

"Phil" writes:
After a day of working and grinding the deck of a project boat the one

thing
I didn't think of was,,,,,,,,fiberglass getting all over me.
Well ,,,we learn from our mistakes right!
Some people say to take a pair of panty hose and rub it off,,,,,,doesn't
work,,LOL
I did learn that if you cover yourself with hair conditioner when you show
and then wash with soap most will be removed.
After the shower take a roll medical gauze and clean yourself it will

remove
the rest of the glass.

I've tried baby powder, panty hose and a bunch of other things.

Have found two (2) things that work.

For small jobs, a full length sweat shirt with knit cuffs around the wrists
and the neck.

In the summer, you sweat like a pig being scalded, but it keeps the crap off
your arms.

When you are finished, remove sweat shirt, blow out as best you can with an
air hose, then wash twice before wearing again.

For big jobs, I picked up a rubberized, orange, navy flight deck suit at an
army surplus store.

Fitted a nozzle in the back that was connected by 50 ft of hose to the
pressure output side of a Shop-Vac.

Cut back the knitted cuffs around the wrists and the neck providing a path
for the air from the Shop-Vac to escape, thus keeping me cool.

Looked like a deep sea diver, but it allowed me to lay up a 55 ft hull,
sanding between every layer of glass.

That meant a lot of 8-10 hour days with a 9" right sander.

HTH