Andrew Denman

Default Rudder/Centreboard shaping

Hi,

heard of a method of shaping foils by constructing a jig for a router.
Anyone done this or have a link for some pics?

TIA

Andrew

Greg

Andrew,
This does not answer your question, but I use a power planer to hand shape
rudders, then a belt sander, then orbital sander, the rest by hand sanding.
I have made rudders from layered plywood glued together with epoxy resin
from West Systems and others as well layering different woods such as oak
and maple on center boards. The power planer does the bulk of the shaping.

My next project is to construct a nice tiller for my newest project boat.
Greg Luckett

"Andrew Denman" wrote in message
Hi,

heard of a method of shaping foils by constructing a jig for a router.
Anyone done this or have a link for some pics?

TIA

Andrew

Brian Whatcott

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:03:37 +1000, "Andrew Denman"
wrote:

Hi,

heard of a method of shaping foils by constructing a jig for a router.
Anyone done this or have a link for some pics?

TIA

Andrew

There is a propellor making machine on sale which
works on this kind of principle.

In its simplest form, imagine a smooth tube on which
the cross bar of a letter "H" slides.
On the left top spoke of the "H" is a pointer, on the right top
spoke of the "H" is a router
On one of the bottom spokes of the "H" is a counterweight, so the
whole thing balances about level.
The propeller blade master is held down parallel to the H vertical
bar,
The blank is held parallel to the other vertical.

After setting up, the pointer is carefully moved over the master,
while the router profiles the blank.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Ron Thornton

Andrew,

What Brian descrided is call a pantograph. I think. Do a Google search
for it and you will get more info than you ever wanted.

Ron

Time Walker

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:03:37 +1000, "Andrew Denman"
wrote:

I'm not gonna discount your desire to use a router but I'm going to
make a suggestion that you think about a right angle grinder with a
(about)36 grit wheel I've created paddles and a
rounded/shaped/flaired keel

Hi,

heard of a method of shaping foils by constructing a jig for a router.
Anyone done this or have a link for some pics?

TIA

Andrew

Mark Weaver

"Andrew Denman" wrote in message
Hi,

heard of a method of shaping foils by constructing a jig for a router.
Anyone done this or have a link for some pics?

I've used a table-saw with a dado-blade and a NACA foil template for setting
the blade angle and height. I use multiple longitudinal passes, stopping
short of the end of the stock to leave the top squared off for easier
attachment to the rest of the rudder assembly. a Here's what the template
looks like:

http://www.fototime.com/C8B026E54F3183C/orig.jpg

And here's a comparison of using that method vs a router:

http://www.fototime.com/ED5A7A8CBB17B99/orig.gif

And the last rudder blade I built using the method:

http://www.fototime.com/47D7C04ECDB5C13/orig.jpg

Mark