judith

Default I hope My Bilge Is Showing

I have consulted many references and I know that the bilge is the
rounded part of the ship's hold. I know that stagnant water collects
there.... Only thing though is I'm unsure what the expressions "Turn
of Bilge" and "Slack Bilge" mean.
Can anyone help me with a concise answer Thanks Judith
judith

THanks for your help. The books I consulted are Marine Design Manual
by Gibbs and Cox and GRP Boat Construction by Figg and Hayward.
It is hard for novices to really understand everything from these
books albeit they are great when it comes to Fibreglass Construction.
Does anyone have any recommendations for any beginner books I would
like to build a boat just the economy down under is also heading for a
slowdown not as bad as USA but a little bit of a slowdown.....When The
USA economy hiccups The Aussie economy starts coughing sometimes
violently.....
All the best Judith

Glenn Ashmore wrote in message ...
The turn of the bilge is the curve between the sides and the bottom. A
slack bilge is narrower with a sloping topsides leading to a deeper wine
glass shaped bottom. A full bilge is wider with less slope to the
topides leading to with less dead rise.

Slack bilged boats tend to roll more slowly and have higher maximum
stability than full bilged ones but have less initial stability so they
heel a lot more in a moderate breeze.

Bonus definition: "Dead rise" is the angle sloping outwards and up from
the keel to the topsides below the waterline. "Tumble home" is the
slope leading inward and up from the waterline to the deck.

judith wrote:
I have consulted many references and I know that the bilge is the
rounded part of the ship's hold. I know that stagnant water collects
there.... Only thing though is I'm unsure what the expressions "Turn
of Bilge" and "Slack Bilge" mean.
Can anyone help me with a concise answer Thanks Judith

Dave W

Ok, I will try. Turn of the bilge is an area, sort of like "down the
street". Context is everything. When under a boat and looking up, the turn
of the bilge is where the bottom flows upward to become the side. Slack
bilge is likewise a very relative term. The opposite is slack bilges is
flat bottom. Hope this helps.
Dave

"Pekka Huhta" wrote in message
news
(Backyard Renegade) writes:

(judith) wrote in message

. com...
I have consulted many references and I know that the bilge is the
rounded part of the ship's hold. I know that stagnant water collects
there.... Only thing though is I'm unsure what the expressions "Turn
of Bilge" and "Slack Bilge" mean.
Can anyone help me with a concise answer Thanks Judith

out. BTW are you contemplating build a boat, doing research for a
project, or just trying to see what we will come up with here? I must
admit, it is starting to sound like you are just having a little fun
with us...

No, she is translating a book and doesn't have a clue. That's what it
usually is when someone starts asking questions about odd therminology.
Slack bilge or turn of the bilge aren't on any online dictionaries. I
guess that the terms are just spicing up a story and too much research
about boatbuilding would just slow her down with the actual plot...

Before internet, even translators had to do some background work. Now you
just have to ask and someone does it for you.

Pekka
--
http://www.puuvene.net/

Rick Tyler

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 07:43:33 -0400, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

snip
Bonus definition: "Dead rise" is the angle sloping outwards and up from
the keel to the topsides below the waterline.

And remember that the deck is the part on top of the boat on which you
stand or sit, and the topsides are actually the sides of the boat
between the waterline stripe and the gunwales. Gunwales are the top
edge of the sides.

"Tumble home" is the
slope leading inward and up from the waterline to the deck.

You can see this in cars, which, when viewed from ahead or astern,
have tumblehome either from the bottom of the side windows to the
roof, or from a design line lower than the windows to the top. Except
Volkswagen Eurovans.

- Rick Tyler

Kiyu

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:13:34 GMT, Rick Tyler wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 07:43:33 -0400, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

snip
Bonus definition: "Dead rise" is the angle sloping outwards and up from
the keel to the topsides below the waterline.

And remember that the deck is the part on top of the boat on which you
stand or sit, and the topsides are actually the sides of the boat
between the waterline stripe and the gunwales. Gunwales are the top
edge of the sides.

Hmm. Do yachting definitions differ from military nautical definitions?
When I was required to "go topside" I went up on deck. When I worked chipping &
painting above the waterline & below the gunwales I worked "over the side".

Kiyu

Kiyu

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:29:41 -0700, Dave Fleming wrote:

snip
If I was told to paint the topsides I would have still have had to ask the Bos'n
what he wanted me to paint because it is relative and has no clear definition -
the topsides of what? If I had to redo the topsides of a Thistle I wouldn't redo
the outside of the hull.
The original poster said the topsides was the area between the waterline &
gunwales. The only thing I have heard this area called is the side of the
ship/boat.
Are there any old salts out here who want to jump in?

Kiyu

Ayup, I do and that first definition is correct for me.

And it looks like you'd be absolutely right & I'd be wrong.

I did some Googling & found a site that gave it as:
TOPSIDE - On or above a weather deck, a deck wholly exposed to the elements.
TOPSIDES - The sides of a vessel between the waterline and the deck.

My apology to the original poster.

Don't recall that working on my ship but then the old Donald Duck style dress
hat was issued as a part of my seabag. Maybe that's the problem - it's been too
damn long ago.G

Kiyu

HELP! Water in bilge when running... Bob D. General 13 July 16th 04 01:32 PM
Water in the Bilge Ernie General 20 April 16th 04 04:20 AM
What's a Bilge Sponge Dionysus Feldman General 4 September 22nd 03 05:44 PM
Bob Hope dead at 100 Clams Canino General 2 July 29th 03 03:22 AM