Default replacing hatch cover with smaller one-fill a gap?

The hole is to big .Can't find a hatch cover big enough. Decided to get
20x15 cover ,existing hole is 19x18. What is preferred method do fill the
gap? Also need to extend a deck by 14 inch any advice?

it is tempest 22 and your solution is what i had in mind.Did you use
screws
or bolts ? Or does it matter? It is a fiberglass boat so I thought of
covering it with thin layer of epoxy and painting it.
That brings another question if I cover it with epoxy does it matter
what
wood do I use?
Jari
"Jim" wrote in message
You don't say what kind of boat you have...

I had a similar situation on a powerboat some years ago. I figured out

the
gap all around, 1 1/2 inches if I remember. I bought some 1/4 x 2 inch
mahogany, and laminated two layers, with overlapping corners. Screwed it
down and plugged the screw holes. wood screwed the hatch on top of wood
spacer.

Looked fine and did the job. Something else to varnish.

Jim

wrote:

The hole is to big .Can't find a hatch cover big enough. Decided to get
20x15 cover ,existing hole is 19x18. What is preferred method do fill

the
gap? Also need to extend a deck by 14 inch any advice?

Jim

wrote:

it is tempest 22 and your solution is what i had in mind.Did you use
screws
or bolts ?

Large, S.S. sheet metal type screws (#12, 1/4" or so)

Or does it matter? It is a fiberglass boat so I thought of
covering it with thin layer of epoxy and painting it.

Ok.....

That brings another question if I cover it with epoxy does it matter
what
wood do I use?

You want something that is rot resistant. You will be sorry if you use a soft
wood (like pine) that might get wet. Hard to beat teak or mahogany for a
hatch.

The mahogany should onlt cost a few dollars. Use a good "yellow" caprenter's
glue, and a couple of clamps. Plug the screw holes. Make a good square
frame, round the top outside edges a little, paint or varnish it. Varnished
mahogany made my aluminun hatch mounted on fiberglass look pretty good.
Jim

Jari

wrote:

The hole is to big .Can't find a hatch cover big enough. Decided to get
20x15 cover ,existing hole is 19x18. What is preferred method do fill

the
gap? Also need to extend a deck by 14 inch any advice?

Joe Kovacs

wrote in message
. ..
The hole is to big .Can't find a hatch cover big enough.

Decided to get
20x15 cover ,existing hole is 19x18. What is preferred

method do fill the
gap? Also need to extend a deck by 14 inch any advice?

Stop beating around the bush. Take it to a fibreglass shop
and ask them.

Joe Kovacs
SV Sea Breeze
Cooper River Marina Charleston SC

Boat Cover - Repairable? Chris General 3 June 15th 04 03:44 AM
Lost for ever hatch cover large 18x19 Boat Building 3 July 7th 03 06:30 AM