Capt. Len

Default Building a kayak out of luan

I have to go along with the poly concept. Been using Iso Poly since 1965 on dozens
of boats and had a chance to restore cosmetics on a few 30 Year old and find the
glass to wood bond is still solid.

Any wood to resin bond is mechanical and proper preparation and handling can do a
god job with poly.

Epoxy is because it thins during cure gets penetration even when poorly applied.

But I'd go with poly and a surface mat for a cheap laun.

By the way see Home Depot has dropped the exterior laun 1/4" and has a Ikoru (?)
from brazil taking its place, they assure me is exterior glue and has been gassed
for rot protection. A pretty clear wood. Have two sheets in the shop going to be
used to do a test OR for the new DIY Trikini 13 double outrigger based on the
production 13 we designed and introduced in 1965.

It will be tape and stitch and all poly (Iso not Ortho)

Wiz wrote:

But I still believe cheap plywood works just great on cheap boats. As long
as one uses ample expensive epoxy :-)

Fred,

I'll raise you: Cheap plywood works great if covered with cheap polyester resin
and cheap matting. The matt/polyester bonds to ply better than cloth/epoxy. One
can cover the matt with a layer of poly and cloth and *that* will bond to the
matt!!! This last step isn't really needed, as the poly/matt protects just
fine.

Cheap all the way. I built a rowboat that way in '82 and it was still sound
when I gave it away 10 years later (moved house and really wished I'd moved the
boat many times). That boat was always stored outside and needed only two
repainting (oil-based exterior house paint) in all that time.

Cheers/The Fader
"LABOR SVGIT"

--
Capt. Len Susman

WWW TRIKINI Project
http://www.trikini.com
What's New
http://www.trikini.com/whatn.htm

Backyard Renegade

"Capt. Len" wrote in message ...
I have to go along with the poly concept. Been using Iso Poly since 1965 on dozens
of boats and had a chance to restore cosmetics on a few 30 Year old and find the
glass to wood bond is still solid.

Any wood to resin bond is mechanical and proper preparation and handling can do a
god job with poly.

Epoxy is because it thins during cure gets penetration even when poorly applied.

But I'd go with poly and a surface mat for a cheap laun.

Why use mat or cloth, you are talking a cheap kayak. I keep seeing you
guys adding 20 pounds and 75 dollars to a boat that can be built at 30
pounds for less than 50 bucks. It is not the best thing but you could
also use polyester if you feel the need and I say this as a person who
(for my own reasons) uses only epoxy. I have a few boats built early
in my addiction that I used poly on, they are still floating and being
used.
Scotty from SmallBoats.com

Wiz wrote:

But I still believe cheap plywood works just great on cheap boats. As long
as one uses ample expensive epoxy :-)

Fred,

I'll raise you: Cheap plywood works great if covered with cheap polyester resin
and cheap matting. The matt/polyester bonds to ply better than cloth/epoxy. One
can cover the matt with a layer of poly and cloth and *that* will bond to the
matt!!! This last step isn't really needed, as the poly/matt protects just
fine.

Cheap all the way. I built a rowboat that way in '82 and it was still sound
when I gave it away 10 years later (moved house and really wished I'd moved the
boat many times). That boat was always stored outside and needed only two
repainting (oil-based exterior house paint) in all that time.

Cheers/The Fader
"LABOR SVGIT"

William R. Watt

I just use paint on plywood. But I do seal all the edges. I don't tape the
edges. Before painting I spread a little polyester or epoxy along the
edges and seams, 2-3 coats, and check it from time to time for damage.

National Capital FreeNet www.ncf.ca Ottawa's free community network
website: www.ncf.ca/~ag384 "Tank, take me in."
Al

I'll raise you: Cheap plywood works great if covered with cheap polyester
resin
and cheap matting. The matt/polyester bonds to ply better than

cloth/epoxy. One
can cover the matt with a layer of poly and cloth and *that* will bond to

the
matt!!! This last step isn't really needed, as the poly/matt protects just
fine.

word of warning - poly is (slightly) water permeable (significantly more so
than epoxy). Dad's boat was built using poly and is rotting under the poly
patches (interestingly, it isn't rotting where there has been nothing but
varnish over the top). Vinylester is a product possibly worth looking into,
I may have misunderstood something, but it'd sit between polyester and epoxy
with 95% of the latter's (gluing?) strength but 50% of the cost. Just a
thought.

Al