Capt. Len

Default Building a kayak out of luan

I have to go along with the poly concept. Been using Iso Poly since 1965 on dozens
of boats and had a chance to restore cosmetics on a few 30 Year old and find the
glass to wood bond is still solid.

Any wood to resin bond is mechanical and proper preparation and handling can do a
god job with poly.

Epoxy is because it thins during cure gets penetration even when poorly applied.

But I'd go with poly and a surface mat for a cheap laun.

By the way see Home Depot has dropped the exterior laun 1/4" and has a Ikoru (?)
from brazil taking its place, they assure me is exterior glue and has been gassed
for rot protection. A pretty clear wood. Have two sheets in the shop going to be
used to do a test OR for the new DIY Trikini 13 double outrigger based on the
production 13 we designed and introduced in 1965.

It will be tape and stitch and all poly (Iso not Ortho)

Wiz wrote:

But I still believe cheap plywood works just great on cheap boats. As long
as one uses ample expensive epoxy :-)

Fred,

I'll raise you: Cheap plywood works great if covered with cheap polyester resin
and cheap matting. The matt/polyester bonds to ply better than cloth/epoxy. One
can cover the matt with a layer of poly and cloth and *that* will bond to the
matt!!! This last step isn't really needed, as the poly/matt protects just
fine.

Cheap all the way. I built a rowboat that way in '82 and it was still sound
when I gave it away 10 years later (moved house and really wished I'd moved the
boat many times). That boat was always stored outside and needed only two
repainting (oil-based exterior house paint) in all that time.

Cheers/The Fader
"LABOR SVGIT"

--
Capt. Len Susman