collin 1944

Default crab claw

Did not explain properly so no wonder there is no replies,
Thinking along the lines of fitting on my 25 footer a crab claw sail with a
frame support, 2 A frames on each side of deck with a pole connecting the
two, the sail would be fixed to this cross member, using this it will be
able to tack automatically without the hindrance of a mast.
It is either this or a junk rig,
Being disabled I have to make things easier to handle.
Any thoughts please that is constructive ones, thanks.

mac

In article ,
"collin 1944" wrote:

Did not explain properly so no wonder there is no replies,
Thinking along the lines of fitting on my 25 footer a crab claw sail with a
frame support, 2 A frames on each side of deck with a pole connecting the
two, the sail would be fixed to this cross member, using this it will be
able to tack automatically without the hindrance of a mast.
It is either this or a junk rig,
Being disabled I have to make things easier to handle.
Any thoughts please that is constructive ones, thanks.

there was a boat(Energy 48) built by Martin Marine(Appledore Pod fame),
see WoodenBoat index.
this motorsailer was equiped with an A-frame "mast", with fore and aft
stays. once in place, a roller reefing jib went up front and a roller
reefing "main" dropped down to the cabin top. the aluminum A-frame was
in sections so it could be assembled like "tent rods". very simple,
slick. the Energy 48 was a 4X scaled up Appledore Pod(rowboat) hull,
small diesel and sails.
a crab claw sail(as fitted to the Malibu Outrigger) has a heavy stick
going way up and it's a real handfull.

(real, macho, sailors would scoff at a "motorsailer", poor basturds
don't know what they're missing, hehehehe.)
William R. Watt

A crab claw sail has an additional adjustment, the forward downhaul. On a
small experimental sail I found myself having to adjust both the main
sheet and the forward downhaul with wind shifts. I think the crab claw
which is very powerfull is better suited to steady offshore winds. I don't
know what arrangement is planned but tacking the usual crab claw sail is
more effort than tacking a sail whose leading edge runs up a fixed spar or
line. What is it about a simple traingular, gaff or sprit cat or sloop rig
that is difficult?

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
collin 1944

slick. the Energy 48 was a 4X scaled up Appledore Pod(rowboat) hull,
small diesel and sails.
a crab claw sail(as fitted to the Malibu Outrigger) has a heavy stick
going way up and it's a real handfull.

(real, macho, sailors would scoff at a "motorsailer", poor basturds
don't know what they're missing, hehehehe.)
Yep I have my little diesel , as you say motor sailing you cannot beat it.
Cheers