Dave Allyn

Default Mixing differant Resin Manufactures

I just got the resin delivered for my first boat. I got a 1.5 gallon
kit, and was wondering, if I run short, can I get a pint kit from a
differant supplier and have them bond to each other okay? Obviously I
would not mix one companies part A, with another companies part B, but
say I use up all the 1.5 gallons I have, and want another coat on the
bottom or something. Can I get a pint kit from a differant supplier
and expect it to work okay?

thanks,

dave

email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!

The smell. Polyester resin will always smell 'plastic like' when even
slightly abraded. Epoxy doesn't.

MW

noexpert wrote:

How can someone determine what kind of resin has been used if rework
etc is necessary?

Evan Gatehouse

Dave Allyn wrote:
I just got the resin delivered for my first boat. I got a 1.5 gallon
kit, and was wondering, if I run short, can I get a pint kit from a
differant supplier and have them bond to each other okay? Obviously I
would not mix one companies part A, with another companies part B, but
say I use up all the 1.5 gallons I have, and want another coat on the
bottom or something. Can I get a pint kit from a differant supplier
and expect it to work okay?

thanks,

dave

email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!

With epoxy, uh, no unless you are particularly lucky.
Different resin suppliers make resins with different
chemistry. You'd be lucky to have them harden.

Evan Gatehouse

Dave Allyn

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:10:37 -0700, Evan Gatehouse
wrote:

Dave Allyn wrote:
I just got the resin delivered for my first boat. I got a 1.5 gallon
kit, and was wondering, if I run short, can I get a pint kit from a
differant supplier and have them bond to each other okay? Obviously I
would not mix one companies part A, with another companies part B, but
say I use up all the 1.5 gallons I have, and want another coat on the
bottom or something. Can I get a pint kit from a differant supplier
and expect it to work okay?

With epoxy, uh, no unless you are particularly lucky.
Different resin suppliers make resins with different
chemistry. You'd be lucky to have them harden.

Evan Gatehouse

Even if I use the correct hardner?

Example: I use 1.5 Gal kit from Raka. I run out, and so order a pint
kit from system-3. I use the S3 resin with the S3 hardner. will it
bond okay to the Raka resin, that was mixed with the Raka hardner?

email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!

Glenn Ashmore

"Dave Allyn" wrote Even if I use the correct
hardner?

Example: I use 1.5 Gal kit from Raka. I run out, and so order a pint
kit from system-3. I use the S3 resin with the S3 hardner. will it
bond okay to the Raka resin, that was mixed with the Raka hardner?

I believe the answer would be "kinda, sorta". If the original layer is
cured, clean and lightly sanded the new epoxy will bond very well but I
would not do it on highly stressed parts. Flexibility of the cured resin
varies considerably. I have found Raka to be a bit brittle compared to
System3 and bulk brands like FGCI's laminating resin to be considerably more
flexible. If all the coats don't yield at the same rate the ultimate
strength will suffer..

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

I used West hardener with resin from Glen-L (and vice versa) with no
problems.

John Cassara

I have 40 year old boat I am repairing. Are you proposing that I must
determine the original resin manufacturer in order to facilitate my repair?

That's preposterous!