Steve

Default Brass fastners for Rub Rail?

Yellow brass has no worthy function on a boat, be it in salt water of fresh.
This metal is too soft to hold anything secure. If the screws don't break
off when installed they will soon fail due to strain or shear. All true boat
hardware should be installed with bronze, stainless or monel.

--
My experience and opinion, FWIW
--

"ahoy" wrote in message
news
Someone said not to use them as they would dissolve from the sal****er
in 6 months after turning the surrounding wood black. Is this true? I
guess bronze would be the thing if you wanted a more traditional look
to stainless? I had planned to varnish over them. Thanks as always.

Roger Derby

Or double dipped galvanized iron for us cheapskates.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

"ahoy" wrote in message
news
Someone said not to use them as they would dissolve from the sal****er
in 6 months after turning the surrounding wood black. Is this true? I
guess bronze would be the thing if you wanted a more traditional look
to stainless? I had planned to varnish over them. Thanks as always.

Steve

"Roger Derby" wrote in message
ink.net...
Or double dipped galvanized iron for us cheapskates.

I will have to admit that in my earlier and much cheaper days ('50s~'60s)
built entire boats using galvanized fasteners. The 36 ft. ketch is still
sailing and never had to be refastened.

However with stainless being about the same price, I go with it above the
waterline and bronze for anything below.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions