Dave Allyn

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 13:42:35 GMT, "Roger Derby"
wrote:
For boat design, Greg Carlson's "Hulls" is worth every penny (it's free).
No, no. Sorry, Greg. It's a good program and it does the job within the
stated limitations. http://www.carlsondesign.com/#Fun_Shareware It is
limited to six chines, and it has no error messages -- when you screw up, it
stops, but the interface is reasonable and the results are good. I used it
to lay out the strakes for the Chebacco I'm building, but it took two passes
because I needed seven chines for the six strakes. (The "wide sheer" pass
got the garboard strake and adjacents. The "wide garboard" got the sheer
strake and adjacents. The strakes in the middle matched to better than my
ability to cut plywood.)

Actually, I downloaded 1.89 and it looks like it will do more than 20
chines now. Also, it has a few other minor changes.

Now if only he would add in a flat-bottom option for the nesting
diagram.....

email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!
William R. Watt

Now if only he would add in a flat-bottom option for the nesting
diagram.....

Agreed. I got close enough by dragging the two halves together on one
sheet. I think you have to flip one over. The results are on the Solo15
microcruiser design on my website mentioned in a previous post in this
thread. (wesite address below, clikd on "Boats", "Designs", "Solo15") Look
at the panel layouts and the photos of the cardboard models.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Ed Edelenbos

wrote:
[...]

Newbie alert... I have only worked up very basic designs and built 2 boats.
Both were virtually visualized with the Carlson program. Both behave very
much like the program says it will (i.e. displacement calculations and
waterlines at a given load.) It is certainly worth every red cent spent.
(grin) Actually (and this surely defines me as a geek), the program is fun
to fiddle with doing things that I'll never build.

Ed

chipster

Hey Bryan -
I wrote back to you via email but got no response; assume you spam-out email
from unknowns ...
Anyway - I'm wondering if you mean the Lake Tiger east of Lake Wales (the
town) as I live near Lake Walk-in-Water, just south of that Lake Tiger and
have passed through Tiger many times while canoeing from here to the
Kissimmee River.
Lemme know ...
And Yes -I'd be happy to take you fishing or just boatriding, if you wish.
Where will you stay when you come down and how will you get here?

chip

"Flyingmonk" wrote in message
ups.com...
chipster,

I will be visiting my piece of FL, I bought 2.27 acres in Lake Tiger,
sometime before the year is over. I've been out of AUTOCAD for a while
now. I have AutoCad LT that you can have on cd and Autocad2000 on cd.
I don't use them anymore. I'll trade that for a day of sun & fun on a
boat when I get down there. I'll add in one evening of tutoring as
well, more if time permits.

Bryan

Flyingmonk

Sorry Chip, I haven't been checking that email account. I'll bring
them down with me when I come down. We stayed in the local hotels when
we come down usually in Bartow, Sandford, Orlando, Kissimme or Apopka.
My land is very very close to you. It is of of Tiger Lake Road little
ways up from rt 60. Yeah, take me fighing or gaitor hunting when we
come down. We are up here in Northern Virginia near DC.

I'll give you a shout before we come down. Don't know when yet, but it
will be before the years over.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

noexpert

Hi nautiphiles,
just wondering:
Are ther any CAD downloads for sails, rigging and of course masts?
Any leads much appreciated
mikl
"chipster" wrote in message
nk.net...
I could use some advice from those of you with experience using free or
low-cost "beginner" CAD software suitable for designing & drawing small
boats.
I've hand-drawn plans in the past and have absolutely no experience using
CAD or any other aid but my current project is bending my brain.
I've found some shareware through Google, but have no idea which of the
offerings is suitable.
I 'll need some start-up education, too, so a book suggestion or two would
also be appreciated.

Thanx in advance for any help

chip in central florida

Roger Derby

Greg Carlson again. http://www.carlsondesign.com/#Fun_Shareware for masts
and a link to download Sailcut by Robert Laine.

Roger (I haven't used either of these)

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

"chipster" wrote in message
nk.net...
I could use some advice from those of you with experience using free or
low-cost "beginner" CAD software suitable for designing & drawing small
boats.
I've hand-drawn plans in the past and have absolutely no experience using
CAD or any other aid but my current project is bending my brain.
I've found some shareware through Google, but have no idea which of the
offerings is suitable.
I 'll need some start-up education, too, so a book suggestion or two
would
also be appreciated.

Thanx in advance for any help

chip in central florida

Mississippi boat rental advice sought harry palmer General 2 May 30th 05 10:39 PM
NE Offshore Passage advice sought gonefishiing ASA 17 July 26th 04 12:22 AM
Advice sought on electric trailer winches... Harry Krause General 52 July 6th 04 05:36 PM
Paddle Advice sought Adriene General 0 April 28th 04 04:46 AM
Apostle Islands (WI) Trip Advice Sought Daniel-San Touring 3 July 10th 03 06:19 PM