This discussion needs to be considered in simplistic terms.

If you build a square section with flat front you will need a lot of
power to push it through the water.

This is why the commercial pontoons are tapered at the front in such
a way as to provide a smooth water flow and reduced resistance.

You can build a pontoon out of plywood by using a parabolic section
base and flat top.
(like a U section)

A thin ply can be bent around the bulkheads and the spaces filled with
flotation foam.

There is another thread on the rec.boats forum concerning attachment
loads for skinned structures. Simply stated you need to spead the
stresses out at attachment points or you rip out the plywood.

There are a number of old boat plans for pontoon boats. Maybe your
library has something.

Correction.

I meant to say this discussion has been stated in somewhat simplistic
terms.

There is a lot about hull shape , directional stability etc to be
considered.

For example, you could build a pontoon boat that will carry tem people
evenly distributed over the boat. If someone shouts ' come look at the
pretty birdy' and all ten rush to the left side rail you have a
situation. The requirement that the boat stay flat in that situation
changes the design.

Weight and balance left/right and front/back need to be considered. (I
suppose I should have said port/starboard and fore/aft but you know
what I meant - and which way is port again ?)

Lateen (MiniCup) sail shape. [email protected] Boat Building 4 May 18th 05 11:19 PM
Masthead bouyancy as aid to self-righting Joe Bleau Cruising 11 April 23rd 05 07:21 AM
buoy versus point-to-point racing Dave General 5 June 20th 04 04:29 PM
Which window shape? Wally ASA 59 April 30th 04 07:30 PM
~~~Canoe for sale or trade, Xcellant shape!! I'm looking for Talon General 0 September 28th 03 12:34 AM