Default Small portable refrigeration units

I rented a mobile home with a small refrig. that used propane. It was
very efficient and used little propane for a very cold unit. I would
like to get more info on the construction, material, spec and etc of
one of these very efficient portable propane refrigerators. Can
someone help me. PHIL

John Smith

I bought one 5 years ago. I did a search and found all kinds of
information.
Personally I don't like it at all, but have no electricity...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I rented a mobile home with a small refrig. that used propane. It was
very efficient and used little propane for a very cold unit. I would
like to get more info on the construction, material, spec and etc of
one of these very efficient portable propane refrigerators. Can
someone help me. PHIL

Garland Gray II

We had one on our old boat, and if that is your only alternative, they work
fairly well. They must be close to level, so are more prevalent on
multihulls, although I remember hearing of one gimbeled on a mono (my
perspective is sail).
I'm told that assuming it can be maintained at a near level state, the
motion of a boat actually improves the circulation of the ammonia coolant.
It is very important to provide plenty of cooling air. I achieved a big
improvement in cooling temperature by vastly increasing the vent size the
builder provided (do they ever follow the recommendations of the equipment
mfg ?), and added a small exhaust fan. After that, I would even observe the
burner shut itself down.
In addition, bear in mind that these are not really built for the marine
environment. There is a lot of steel that must be painted occaisionally,
else it will rust. But if you have only outboard power, propane frigs can
work well.

oups.com...