Richard Kollmann

Default Alternative Energy for Refrigeration

In the original thread " Alternative Power Refrigeration," I wrote to
demonstrate how a boat's refrigerator could be self sustained away
from the Power Grid and fossil fuels. Electrically powered
refrigeration from wind, water or solar energy can meet this
requirement.
Small mobile refrigerators can now be much more efficient as a result
of new DC compressor designs that allow the system's application's
engineer or operator to make adjustments for optimum performance. The
initial cost, upfront, to outfit a boat for onboard power collection
to support refrigeration is higher than those using fossil fuel but
there will be no weekly or monthly purchases of fuel.

There should be serious concerns with using an open flame fossil fired
refrigerator on a boat. The original thread produced the following
Facts/Opinions. These are direct quotes:

Jax wrote: propane. it has been around since Kriste was a corporal in
the infantry.

Poster Me wrote: and one should want an explosive gas onboard a
sailboat, why?????

Steve wrote: Propane isn't inherently dangerous, it just needs to be
treated
with respect. A properly installed, maintained, and operated
propane system is safe. It's cost, availability, and ease of use
make it a very good source of heat in a boat.

Glen wrote: Questions of safety with propane on boats have long been
addressed. The real problem with absorption cycle refrigeration (gas
refrigerators) is
that they must stay within 5 to 7 degrees of vertical. That makes
them
great for RVs and maybe power boats but not for sailboats.

Jax wrote: not true. unless the vehicle is NOT moving side to side.

Horace wrote: lateral forces mimic inclination.

Mat wrote: The potential to fuel it with diesel still did not win the
game.
The COP is the game killer. The required ventiation is next.

Glen wrote: Norcold and Dometic both say that their units should be
level within 2º when parked and should never exceed 10º
while operating underway. Sloshing side to side does prevent pooling
as
long as the tilting is fairly equal in both directions. Sailboats on
passage tend to remain on one tack, and therefore heel in one
direction,
for several hours.
In short, when I asked tech support at both companies to recommend
their products for my boat they both said don't do it.
JAXAshby

BOO!!

stay tied to the dock, people. elstwise, you gonna die a crispy critter, your
scorched body parts spread over 15 acres of water.

anybody wonder why Eric Hiscock spoke so highly of his gas absorbtion reefer
sys?
Larry Demers

JAXAshby wrote:
"...anybody wonder why Eric Hiscock spoke so highly of his gas absorption reefer
sys?"

'Cause it was the only game in town me boy (a name you deserve I might add)